Towards, up-yours energy cos , energy consumption reduction this coming winter.

Following the remarkable success of my recent adopting "African " external flying sun-shade sails, bypassing French/Italian external shutters, stopping solar insolation thru the windows, for the recent heatwaves. No fans required so far this summer, and no A/C of course. Keeping windows closed during the day meant the house core temperature only rose about 1 deg C above the early morning minimum temperature. Only energy required was manual hooking outside the "privacy screen" material over downstairs windows and hoisting via a couple of pulleys each window top , the upper storey sail shade.

So for this winter ,my idea is starting with ordinary lined curtains, so only sewn around the edges. Cut 3 slots near the top to introduce some mylar space-blanket/emergency blanket material. Firstly, proof of concept. Kitchen table experiment, a pan of water at 40 deg C on a cardboard box. IR remote thermometer 0.5m away on a similar box, reading 40 degC . Introduce halfway , a single piece of mylar and the reading immediately dropped to the room temp of 24 sometimes 25 degC, remove it and back to

40 degC. No observed difference silver or gold side to the warm pan. So I intend cutting down each 1.5x2m mylar shhet to size, rolling on to some tube , insering in the slots, top end held in place with small bulldog clips. Unroll the mylar and remove the rod. It may even be useful summertime for the reverse situation , if no external shades due to wind say.
Reply to
N_Cook

cool

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Over-complex.

What we do here for the patio door, which is recessed, is to hang a full-length light curtain on a sprung curtain-rod between the patio door and the main curtains, and use that to provide an extra thermal break.

Putting remote sensors one winter on the lounge side, and between the main curtain and the intermediate curtain, then next to the inner face of the patio door, and finally next to the outside of the patio door, the least drop in temperature was across the patio door, the two curtains taking most of the load.

Much better than having heavy lined curtains, and more adaptable. For example, just pulling the light curtain across shields the lounge from the afternoon sun, giving a bright and cool lounge.

The ‘light curtain’ is actually curtain lining material, cut to fit the full width and height of the recess.

Reply to
Spike

Senior Management is a keen ( accomplished) sewer and has always made our curtains. She made detachable linings for our curtains - they only fix via a second set of hooks to the strip at the top of the curtain. They have small pockets with weights to make them hang right. You buy special tape for the top edge where the hooks go.

This arrangement makes cleaning the curtains and linings easier.

Reply to
Brian

Australians have been doing this for years

Andrew

I hope they weren't shit?

Reply to
Fredxx

Dunelm do reasonably priced 'thermal' linings that hang off existing hooks, and seemed to help a fair bit last winter in a bay window. Even I managed to fit them, although I've yet to manage a neat hem.

Reply to
RJH

Has she heard your mention of her as a sewer?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

She might prefer the terms "needle-worker" or "sewist".

Reply to
Rob Morley

My mum would have said 'seamstress'; she was one.

Reply to
Sn!pe

I suspect they both know their ˈsəʊə from their ˈsuːə

Reply to
Robin

I was wondering about that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On the Diskworld, 'seamstress' has a different, other, meaning hem hem.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Being the innocent guy I am I had to look this up. An interesting background story:

Fredxx

Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it depends on what you put into it. And you will get stitched up in the end

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

seamstress

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I saw what you did there... ≈:o)

Reply to
Sn!pe

Seamstress as long as she isn't familiar with Ankh-Morpork guilds

Reply to
John J

This may be why the usual term is seamstress. But of course that's sexist...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris