Totally OT - wireless Windows XP network grief

Nice thought, but for most all the latest media type readers, plug ins and add ons etc appear on Windose first, so you'll likely need it anyway. So fine if you're happy with two operating systems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had no end of problems networking whilst ZoneAlarm was installed, and it required a complete removal (including the use of their 'Clean-up' tool) before file & printer sharing was fully restored. It may depend on the version of ZA you are using, as I believe not all flavours were as problematic as some. However, I cannot recall now which versions did what to whom and where.

hth

Reply to
saka

Both good thoughts - I believe there's a new version of the s/w that will be a little more flexible about what it stores & where - must find a few minutes to download it & see....

Thanks

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Hat off to you NP - I finally discovered that the "Shared Documents" folder can indeed be shared and seen/interacted with by remote m/c, one Shortcut added in that folder et voila! access to the other folders it wouldn't let anyone (on a networked m/c) access before!!!

How good/shit is that!!??

I never once saw this "Shared Docs" folder mentioned in any of the "solution" s**te I was wading thru online prior to this thread..

Result! Very many thanks - you may claim your =A35 anon

JimK

Reply to
JimK

- er.... no it doesn;t clicking on the Shortcut takes me to the "My documents" folder of the local machine.....not the distant one.... curses

Any further thoughts anyone? I can now share the Shared Docs folders & contents on each m/c with each other m/c but would ideally like to share files from their "proper" pre-ordained location - rather than move them around all the time.....

JimK

Reply to
JimK

eh? is the link on the distant machine, or the local one?

It SHOULD work if you do it on the distant one..

May be a way..surely..you can 'export' a specific folder?

on the remote machine, right click teh directory you want an look under 'properties

I think yiou can then do something to export (share) it, provided its all networked

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Use FreeVNC to remotely view the other desktop. PoP

Reply to
Steve Walker

Think you need a 'better' version of XP for this. It might be possible to upgrade cheaply now that 7 is out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In this case I think not. Wireshark (formerly Ethereal) is a very good packet sniffer that is handy for diagnosing low level IP (and other) protocol problems. Not that much use for this app though.

Reply to
John Rumm

ok, a couple more things to check. I can certainly share program files on my XP systems, and I don't think it is a restriction explicitly introduced into Home (I run a mixture of Pro and Media centre).

For experimentation, I would actually uninstall ZA - it gets a very effective lock on its files and the directories containing them. That may be enough to impose restrictions on the Program Files folder (assuming that is where it is installed).

Then on an open window, open Folder Options from the Tools Menu. Click the View tab, and ensure that:

Hide protected operating system files is unchecked Use simple file sharing is unchecked (if you have the option in Home)

I also usually uncheck Hide extensions for known file types (a dangerous default!) and check display full path in title bar to ease navigation.

Finally I would ensure both machines are running SP3 - in case this is a glitch in SP2.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you have administrator access (I.e. A username and password for an account on the PC with full admin rights) then you should be able to access *anything* over the network by using the system share for the drive. To do this, on the remote machine use the patth:

\\\c$\program files

Reply to
Richard Conway

What is the significance of the $ - or did you mean to type a colon?

Reply to
Roger Mills

It is the administrative share for the C drive - not a typo. If you have sufficient permissions, you can access it (the drive and anything on it) using that way of identifying the drive - without needing to know or care about any actual share names that may or may not exist.

Reply to
Rod

The dollar indicates an administrative share that is automatically created (unless turned off by registry setting) it allows *only* administrators of the remote machine to access all its drives without requiring individual shares to be manually created for them, so that

\\machine\c$\xxx

is the same as C:\xxx locally on the machine.

Note that some versions of windows don't accept the

\\ip.ad.dr.es\share\path

notation, they will only respond if you use their actual machine name instead of the ip address or an alias (again unless configured in the registry).

Reply to
Andy Burns

I run all the untrustworthy stuff in VMs under Linux, so get the best of both worlds.

Reply to
Huge

OK both ZAs uninstalled (without internet access!) same problems..

yup both on SP3

Both can still see each other, still see the shares in both directions but still only the "Shared Documents" folders are truly shared. Other folders can now be set to Shared on their host m/c's (that in itself is a minor improvement) BUT these folders cannot be accessed by the remote m/c.....

bah JimK!

Reply to
JimK

same here.

Linux does 50% of what I need far far better than anything else, including a Mac..and the other 50% goes in virtual XP. Which of course needs rebooting every time I need to do anything with it. But that's XP.

Essentially the only programs running on XP are two CAD and one bitmap program, and IE6 which I need to ensure that websites actually work with broken browser designs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If your internet access is via NAT router, then you are not adding that much risk without a software firewall.

Sounds like we are getting closer then ;-)

Have you got the guest account enabled on both machines (required for a network login if the users on each network machine are not using the same username and credentials)?

Reply to
John Rumm

mmm er how would I know if i've got a NAT router...

er well I didn't but just have and no difference.... (NB bit (more) confused :>)( if guest ac's are required, how come the shared "Shared Docs" folders work like I want them to without guest ac's being enabled?)

PS switched to COMODO firewalls now...

Cheers Jim

Reply to
JimK

If you have a router at all, its a NAT router.

If you have more than one machine that can access the internet, and you didn't set up a public block of IP addresses and build a custom firewall, you have a NAT router.

Seriously, if you can control all the machines behind the router on your local network switch of ALL firewalls till you get this working.

The risk is minimal

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher