Totally OT - grapevine problem

This needs some lateral thinking and maybe someone here as the answer but equally some suggestions might be forthcoming.

One thing you must never do with a grapevine at this time of year is to cut into live wood - I've been stupidly careless and the cut is seeping watery sap pretty fast and it won't heal. I need a fast setting adhesive I think to seal the cut which will cope with the seeping water.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

The Wickes acrylic roof repair with fibres will work in damp conditions but first I'd try self amalgamating tape.

but there's cheaper stuff

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Superglue?

But maybe candlewax is all u need, and a bandage?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was going to suggest that too...

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

I have always found it helps them to heal if you can lift the cut end so that it is pointing upwards.

Reply to
Tahi

Cauterise the cut with a small blow-torch? BTW, my grapevine (a Brandt) doesn't really weep. You can lay into it with a chainsaw at any time of year.

Ian Jackson

Mine occupies a cube roughly 30 feet on each side - I'm pretty sure that it's become self-aware, and would likely attack me if I tried to cut it :-)

(I'm not sure what variety it is, but it's a wild vine, so produces very small bitter fruit. To be so large it must have been there for decades)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

hairdryer?

Reply to
Tabby

Phylloxera ?

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

I'm not winning - unfortunately the stub left is about 6mm in diameter and 6mm long. So far 120cc of fluid have leaked out and I'm seeing rather worrying suggestions on the web of the plant bleeding to death. An option is to look at cutting further back and putting a hose clamp on the larger diameter as a tourniquet.

I think what I'm looking for is a substance that can be easily applied and is capable of sticking to what's there despite it being wet, and will cope with the seepage. One solution I've tried is using a finger stall bandage - CA glue and self amalgamating tape didn't get me anywhere. If the finger bandage was impregnated with something that responded to the moisture but what is that something?

Rob

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Polyurethane glue? That cures with water.

Howard Neil

Did you try cauterisation?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I'm no gardener but from my distant recall of biology lessons, it's possible that the sap is being forced out by osmotic pressure rather than just seeping out. I guess grape vines must generate quite a lot of pressure in order to transport the nutrients tens of feet from root to shoots. If it is being forced out, then simple measures probably won't help as it will continue to force its way out behind whatever is used as a seal.

You might get more informed answers in uk.rec.gardening or whichever related newsgroup is still alive.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

I trimmed a grafted weeping silver birch at this time of year once. It rained sap underneath it for weeks, but didn't seem to do it any long-term harm.

If that's an option, what about wrapping a couple of neat turns of copper wire around the existing stub, and twisting the ends to tighten and stem the flow?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

One of the things left in the shed when we moved in here was a reel of very sticky Denso-like tape which according to its label was intended for "applying to wounded plants".

Might work...

Reply to
Lee

You _really_ shouldn't have done that! I know - my vines didn't get pruned hard enough before Christmas, but I'm not touching them now it has warmed up.

I'd suggest either Arborex (black tarry goop in a tin, useful for fruit trees) or shellac. Probably a shellac-soaked cotton bandage made beforehand (several coats), then wipe the cut, paint it and wrap it tight in the bandge. Follow with a few more coats as it hardens.

The vascular pressure in grape vines is ridiculous - it's how they manage to grow so far.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Maybe it's bitter because it's forced to live in Britain. ;-)

Reply to
Gib Bogle

It's probably waiting for global warming to kick in...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Nah, I'm in the land of Merkins these days. Sodding cold winters here in the frozen north, too, so wild fruit[1] that's not under glass and controlled conditions doesn't fare too well. I might be able to make some kind of wine from the grapes, but it probably wouldn't be very nice (plus the fruit are tiny, so harvesting them at all would be a major task!)

[1] too cold for blackberries :( We get a few raspberries that are quite tasty, and the plums and apples are reasonably sweet (just very small)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Had a look at the Hampton Court Great Vine at the weekend. Apparently its largest crops were in 1798 and 1807, about three times what it now produces. An amazing thing to behold

Reply to
stuart noble