Totally OT - Behaviour in Supermarkets

Is it just me - or have others noticed an increase in people who have clearly changed their mind about a product and have just left it anywhere. eg - a tub of butter left with the crisps. Damned inconsiderate as most shops will scrap the item if it has been out of a chilled cabinet.

Seen in the DIY Sheds as well where people have browsed items and then not put them back on the right hook.

I guess some might say "so what" - but if the shops employ more staff to keep the shelves tidy then the prices go up.

I mainly feel it is inconsiderate behaviour (which spawns inconsiderate behaviour) - irrespective of any cost implications.

Reply to
John

John wibbled on Sunday 11 October 2009 11:15

Keeps unemployment down so in one sense it is for the greater good ;->

(TIC!)

I think there people are a great deal less considerate and polite than 30 years ago.

Reply to
Tim W

No surprise there. I regularly chunter on about how the supermarket is the ideal opportunity to point out to children that other people matter. Not stopping in the entrance, keeping your trolley to one side of an isle, allowing others to reach items, not playing about with things you're not going to buy. Of course the complete opposite is now regularly the case and don't get me started on how having to pay, frequently seems to come as a complete surprise. They have rights you know and the rest of us can just wait until they're done and young mothers are the worst. It's sad actually, how inconsiderate we've become.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Try going round the ladies part of a fashion shop. Floors strewn with clothes and tried on shoes that people would not dream of putting back where they found them.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Ah yes, I've fallen foul of that a few times. Before I got into the habit of 100% inspection of everything, I was particularly pissed off to drive 15-20 miles to either of the nearest sheds, buy a pre-packed then arriving home to find that somebody had opened it to remove the one vital screw/washer/bit that could not be substituted with a generic part out of my toolbox.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Andy - you are my sort of guy (in a moral way). I won't get into grazing as they walk around in the store - saw a guy eating a cooked chicken drumstick the other day in Asda. (Would he pay? Dunno - but can't people control themselves.)

Oh - and using the toilet and not washing hands before going into the Supermarket to handle the goods.

Reply to
John

I used to do that but they took out an injuction stopping me:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I've got less of a problem with grazing - indeed, I've done it. Obviously I'll not be doing it on stuff which needs weighing, or stuff which makes a mess, but taking eg a biscuit out of a packet doesn't seem to be that bad to me.

(though sometimes there are also very good reasons for me to do that, but most people don't have those).

Reply to
Clive George

I get away with it because I take my wife

Reply to
Invisible Man

Going back a few years I bought a cat flap from B&Q. Got it home, opened the box and half of it was missing :-( Took it back and got it replaced.

Wandering round B&Q a few weeks later and was just passing the cat flaps - one looked familiar - opened the box - it was the one I'd returned with half of it missing !! They'd just put it back on the shelf :-( I pointed it out but nobody seemed interested ...

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

And several of the stores I've been in recently have lengths of 110mm pipe attached to the uprights in the plumbing and fixings sections with a notice above it say WTTEO "Don't know where to put it back? Drop it in here.". I've yet to see any one checking the tubes and putting stuff back but at least they are trying.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It was what I was doing to my wife that caused the problem.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Never actually been excluded from anywhere but have been told off in pubs, tenpin bowling centres and by a DJ over the PA in Chicagos.

Cannot see that we cause grief so much as those who take the important bits out of packing in B&Q though.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Happened to me three times with Wickes sinks - missing the fixing brackets & seal. They suggested I take a pack put of another sink & left it on the shelf. As you say, nobody was interested.

Last week in Wickes I wanted 2 toilet seats. Three on the shelf, one obviously opened & was missing the fixings. Took all three to the checkout, bought two & reported the other one. Bet I find it on the shelf next week.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The local B&Q had a pair of 4 x 10mm x 22mm manifolds on the shelf for well over 18 months - the computer wouldn't order any as it thought that it had some in stock, but no-one would buy them as the nuts and olives were missing! Manual stock checks were obviously cursory at best.

I even pointed it out to them a few times.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It happens that Clive George formulated :

Until you have paid for the item, it is not your property, so it could be theft.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Peanuts -

I used to know someone who got ejected from the Vatican ...

Reply to
geoff

But you can't top Brian Jones being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for having too wild a life style...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Twice I've found the bits I wanted in the B&Q plumbing section & had trouble buying them because they were sans packaging.

"If it hasn't got a bar code you can't buy it". I pointed ut that if it didn't have a bar code it obviously didn't exist - so could I just take it? Much confusion.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reminds of the time I tried to buy a phone in Curry's. I took it to the till, the guy scanned it and declared that I couldn't have one because they had no stock. I had to escalate the issue to the manager before I was allowed to buy it.

I was sorely tempted to simply walk out with it. It obviously wasn't theirs. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes