Totally OT BBC PC rant.

"You didn't get where you are today by... Reggie"! :-)

Reply to
dave

F1 cars are RWD and it was the front wheels which could be seen locking and unlocking. What the engine was doing cannot be relevant.

To me it gave all the appearance of a (semi?) conscious driver modulating the braking force to bring the car to a controlled stop - presumably he wasn't conscious enough to steer.

Am I imagining seeing someone say something about their sister bringing a vehicle to a controlled stop while unconscious? Can't see the post now...

Haven't seen that. Link?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

That was the case..he pushed both feet hardish down.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I haven't a clue about F1 design these days. Do they still rely upon cadence braking rather than these clever electronic jiggery pokery brakes these days?

Over a decade ago, I caused a minor nose to tail in wet conditions on the M1. Poor fellow in front hadn't had a bump in 28 years. It was in my first car with ABS but I was still thinking cadence.

Reply to
Clot

ABS was banned a few years ago now, so all braking is now devoid of electronic control.

Yes, it feels quite unnatural to lean on the pedal even when it's vibrating madly under your foot.

Reply to
Brian Morrison

Quite.

Thanks for the info. Sadly for me and the guy in front, my reaction was inappropriate! Though I could now have a skill that the average guy on the street doesn't when I could (not?) be racing round Donington!

It would be very suitable with our current precipitation.

Will we have a UK F1 event next year?

Reply to
Clot

Bernie says "Yes", but he may just be trying to spoiler any move by Silverstone to be a venue for a FOTA break-away series.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Frost

My guess is that with Fuhrer Moseley out of the way, some of the nastier personality conflicts that resulted in Silverstone being ditched will fall away also, and with Donington being a rather difficult track to bring up to scratch, it will be Silverstone again.

An awful lot of this is all 'negotiating position'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The wheels were locking and unlocking. He apparently managed to push the brake exactly the right amount...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I have and like ABS. I know it'll do at least 90% as well as Schumy, and it'll do it every time. I don't think I'm that good, certainly not at 22:00 after a long days panic at work.

A few years ago I was doing some testing of vehicle electronics, and wanted to test the deceleration we got against a 3rd party meter. I forgot this thing had no ABS... for about a second. Big Black marks!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Except that the problem with Silverstone is that Bernie hates the BRDC committee because he considers it full of stuffed shirts.

Reply to
Brian Morrison

Been there, done that, got the migraines. I decellerated from 65mph to zero at a few tens of g.

I had a few hours in the Lister, but that's much the same sort of thing.

Bad headache for a while, sore chest from the seatbelt compression but nothing borken, unlike the guy sitting next to me who cracked a couple of ribs. My wife put an artistic dent in the windscreen, despite the seatbelt and airbag. She and the driver got away with shock and bruising. All in all, we were pretty fortunate that we were inside a Mercedes, well known for being built like a tank.

However, I'm pretty near certain that my (somewhat atypical) migraines were directly caused by the event, and I'm still suffering from them almost 10 years later.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Leyland

My only crash was in the mid-70s. I skidded on ice into the back of a stationary Jag when I was doing 30 mph...

I pushed the entire windscreen out with my head (without breaking it - we'd replaced a cracked one the previous week and hadn't put the beading back in - lucky or what?).

I was (luckily again) wearing a woolly hat with a thick turn-up cuff the accident gave me insomnia for about 18 months afterwards.

Reply to
magwitch

Why?

Reply to
Mark

The concept of a domain having an address is a bit silly anyway. OK, the administrator/owner may have an address but the computer(s) could be anywhere and, in addition, could be on multiple sites.

Reply to
tinnews

My business is now set up as an Australian company but I use superbeam.co.uk for my UK-targetted products. But AIUI I couldn't do it the other way round - on Aussie businesses can hold com.au domains

Reply to
Tony Bryer