Totally OT

I nearly wet myself yesterday at the R4 interviewee who suggested that "Free Wifi" should be added to Maslow's hierarchy of needs. I am sure some here will enjoy the suggestion

I'll get me Zimmer frame...

Reply to
newshound

That one's been doing the rounds for a while. Pictures on Facebook this week with Wifi at the bottom.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Given that the photo was probably taken between 1940 and say 1950, it's quite probable that the advertising hoardings were screening a bomb site and certainly would no longer exist. It may even be that the tower itself was destroyed later in the blitz. The bus was built in 1940 and was the first of a large order from East Kent. But only this one was supplied because of wartime restrictions. For its day it was a very attractive model and because of its mechanicals, it was at the cutting edge of public transport. For the enthusiasts, BFN 797 is Leyland Tiger TS8 fitted with a Park Royal C32R half canopy body.

Given that the photo was probably taken between 1940 and say 1950, it's quite probable that the advertising hoardings were screening a bomb site and certainly would no longer exist. The posters behind are for Goodyear tyres and Lamb's Navy Rum. Remember these?

my brains (?) but I've an idea that tower was visible from, oralongside, the A2. New Cross/ Deptford area. Not as far as Blackheath.I used to pass that way frequently in the 70's-80's. IIRC it was, at thattime, a seamans mission or similar.Of course, I could be entirely wrong.hthNick.

Reply to
Nick

A lot of schools have towers like that although most aren't 'double' ones.

Reply to
Bob Eager

JimG wrote

The tower looks pissed, so it's probably been flattened since the photo was taken.

Reply to
Jabba

Taken on an excursion to Pisa, perhaps? :-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The obvious clock tower location (and bus terminus) would be on the seafront in Margate. Unfortunately that clock tower is completely different. I wondered about Cecil Square, but nothing there unless the council offices were built over it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Wow! :-|

Saw this the other day too:

rop-audio-sound

(Sorry, OP -- you asked for it, this thread drift!)

J.

Reply to
Another John

The lower bit of the tower that's visible has louvres, suggesting a bell or bells. I've tried Google image searches on both church towers and clock towers in all the major towns in east Kent, but no success. But as you say, plenty of clock towers in the seaside resorts. This one would have to be fairly tall to be visible over the roofs. The East Kent Road Car Company also operated in east Sussex for a time, so I also looked in Rye and Hastings, but again, no success. Some of their buses were even used in the Midlands during the war!

Lots of images of East Kent Leyland Tiger buses here, but only one with a tower in the background!

The OP speculates it could be anywhere from Victoria coach station eastwards, which is a large search area, and as the OP says, could have been flattened in the blitz. I've given up :-(

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Wow! :-|

Reply to
polygonum

Some camcorders have built-in microphones nowadays :-/

Reply to
Andy Burns