TOT National Savings reduce interest rates

You've lost/gained NOTHING unless you sell. If you don't have the time and money to make your own decision as to when to sell then you shouldn't be investing in the market.

Tell me what alternatives you suggest.

Reply to
AnthonyL

No. That is a stupid and bigoted view, from someone who has nether dine the sums nor researched the subject.

In reality stock markets overall have shown good compound growth rates they are just not guaranteed at any value in any given time period. If you want that certainty you must accept a lower rate of return, and buy bonds.

Depends how late.

Yes, you dont know. That ultimately they recover and grow again as industry adapts.

And a tracker is far better than investing in an average basket of shares, because by definition it tracks te *successful* FTSE 100 companies.

And in later life as I am now I have gone far higher risk-return than trackers.

Almost hedge fund...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Should have done that Mid 2019. Too late now, unless you are happy to get back less at redemption than you paid, and minus a big slug of inflation too.

Reply to
Andrew