TOT

I had to have a general anaesthetic on Saturday morning and as I was having the injection, before they hooked me up with the tubes, I just crashed out until he started to bring me round.

My question is, why didn't I have any dreams?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Maybe you did have dreams, but you don't remember.

Reply to
sleepingtiger

I think the aneasthetic stops that activity within the brain.

OTOH once just waking up from a general aneasthesia at the dentist I remember thinking I had fallen asleep on a mediterranean beach.

It was the dentists light shining through my eyelids. 8-|

I know if you are *sedated* as opposed to aneasthetised they dose you with an agent that makes you forget about the experience, and also with an agent that makes you dis-interested in what's going on.

*BANG* -Oh he must be hammering something into my jaw.

*BANG* -Oh well.

*BANG* -Wonder what day it is, Im ever so tired.

Derek.

Reply to
Derek Geldard

In message , Dave writes

Dreaming is associated with sleeping

You weren't asleep you were unconscious

Reply to
geoff

There's a medical term for that stuff... ...Antilitigant

Rather good for this time of night I thought.

Reply to
Graham.

I've had hammers, chisels and torque wrenches used on my jaws with just a local anaesthetic, it was quite strange but not particularly unpleasant.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have never been in that situation, so many thanks for your experience.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I hadn't looked it that way. I was in for re attachment of my retina/ Part of the post opp treatment is to lay on my right side all day and night for 10 days (Its called posturing) and even now 5 days later, I am still waking up thinking that when I get home... I've been home since Sunday. Roll on Monday when I can get on with a normal life. Even if it does mean walking and no driving.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

There are various grades of unconsiousness. You only dream in the lighter ones. Under a GA, you are just a step from having your vital functions shut down, (Death), and brain activity is at the minimum level to keep them going.

Reply to
EricP

That'll be good for you

It's several months since I used my car

2km to work each way every day on foot

still a fat bastard nontheless

Reply to
geoff

In message , EricP writes

Thats the theory, anyway

Reply to
geoff

An ex GF (antediluvian) was a theatre nurse & recounted several episodes where the 'patient' entertained the staff (whilst supposedly unconcious) by graphically describing various scenarios ranging from orgasmic bliss to 'one-sided arguments'.

Incidently, isn't dreaming done in the R.E.M stage of sleep?

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

Muscles are heavier than fat :)

Reply to
mogga

Muscles are more /dense/ than fat.

Reply to
dennis

I wish that I had not read that now :-((

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I`ve threatened one dentist with being thrown out of a window if he didn`t stop when I told him to :-) I HATE dental work, had a very bad dentist when I was a kid who really hurt me and ever since then I just don`t like them. but as long as they and I know I`m in charge and can stop it I`m OK. If they try to carry on after I mumble "ow" then it gets shouty :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

I'm exactly the same, and for the same reason; bad experiences as a child, and I had many problems with my teeth so needed a lot of treatment every year until I was 21.

I now need some complex treatment (a new bridge, possibly supported on implants, so I am considering going abroad to have it done. The prices in the UK for anything more than a standard filling are horrendous.

Reply to
Bruce

You too. I had a similar bit of pain when I had tooth ache in one of my upper molars. At that time the only solution was to go to Manchester dental hospital as emergency dentists did not exists then. Master dentist came and looked in my mouth and condemned the tooth on opposite side to the one that was giving me pain.

Young trainee got a pair of pliers out and tried to extract first one tooth and then went for the second one. After some time the Master came back and asked her what the problem was. At this point, he took over after producing an even bigger pair of pliers and tried to do an extraction. when he failed he got an even bigger pair out and tried them. Nothing.

He then went for an even bigger pair and proceeded to break the first tooth into 4 pieces. When he came to the second one he mentioned something about me being a symmetrical man and broke that into 4 pieces. He then changed to a smaller pair and extracted the 8 pieces, pushed my gums together and sent me home.

I must has contracted a gum disease that day, as I was in pain for 6 or more weeks after that. This experience put me off dentists for life. But about 12 years later I got another toothache that was worse than having the first 2 out and I explained about the pain I had to go through and he simply packed the gum with an antibiotic. I just went into shock and bled from the mouth for 24 hours.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That was exactly what my treatment was, the hammering and chiselling was a bone implant, the torque wrench to tighten the implant screws into the jaw, bridge fitted a few months later after bone had "grown-over", all done in Hungary 3 years ago and very pleased with results.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, that's it, and Hungary would probably be my choice too. This is the company I am looking at:

Bruce