Toilet seat not staying up?

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Gareth"

It's dead common, as many a bruised willy will demonstrate.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

...and the water is cold as well.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
The Medway Handyman wrote:

And deep!
In uk.d-i-y, Gareth wrote:

By the time they find out, it's too late to do anything about it, even if they wanted to.
--
Mike Barnes

On 19/09/2008 21:20 Gareth wrote:

Are you sure that neither the seat to pan fixing, nor the seat to hinge fixing doesn't have a second hole or slot to allow for the seat to be moved forward on the pan?

Thank you. Yes, there is a second hole. Problem is I managed to lose the 2 hole washer (the one that fits between the seat and pan) down the toilet! It doesn't seem possible to buy a replacement anywhere so I guess I'm going to have to buy a different seat anyway. Very frustrating.
Gareth.
Gareth wrote:

I've got a salvaged one here in my box of "bits that might come in useful some day but seldom do" (TM). It's a bit rust stained but you're welcome to it if it helps, my reply address (but not the from address) should work if you want to email me your snail mail address.
--
Mike Clarke

On 21/09/2008 09:56 Gareth wrote:

The ones I've dealt with have been rubber/plastic washers: metal against porcelain doesn't sound like a good idea. Can you find something with a little 'give' in it to go between the two surfaces?

Gareth wrote:

As others have suggested, flipping the little mounting plates round can buy you another half inch or so, but it sounds like you tried that.
I am imagining a cantilevered counterweight (or spring) attached to the seat, so that it defaults to the UP position, like on aeroplanes. No more getting smacked on the todger in mid-flow.
Edwin. ------
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:49:59 +0100, Edwin Spector

Another possibility is to use one of those brass latch things fitted at the end of a pub bar to hold up, well, the end section for the staff to pass through.
--
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine wrote:

Wouldn't half hurt your back when you sat down on the seat with your newspaper in your hands though ;-)
And think of the ear ache when your wife sits on the seat. She has to do it this way every time :-(
Having read this thread from day one, I think the best answer was the strong magnet and steel plate under the seat.
Dave
Dave wrote:

Well, even better. Replace the magnet with a electromagnet, and then RFID microchip the wife like the family pet. When she approaches the lav, the seat WILL be down....
though it may make a hell of a thump in the middle of the night....
--
Adrian C

Adrian C wrote:

LOL
No RAOTFLMAO
Dave
Dave wrote:

Hmm - I can think of endless uses of that... Better yet, I'll get the kids done, too.
David

Most women can learn to do the needful standing up, you know :-)
contains these words:

Slightly easier for the man to do the needful sitting down. I suspect views on this are set by whether the person expressing the view cleans the toilet.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

German males are generally required to urinate sitting, at least in domestic premises.
However, a lot of younger females are quite practised at urinating standing -- very useful in the great outdoors and at music festivals etc.

What about removing the lid completely?
Robert
The message

Brilliant!
On Wednesday, 17 September 2008 19:37:44 UTC+1, Gareth wrote:

Solutions for toilet seat won't stay up
1. Attach a flat magnet to the underside of the seat. 2. Attach a ferromagnetic metal to a short string attached to a hook attached to the side of the cistern. I used a tablecloth weight as sold by Lidl/Aldi. lift the seat and attach the metal to the magnet. or attach a cord around the cistern or to a hook on the side of the cistern and adjust it with one of those spring tighteners you find on waterproof jackets and hold the seat up with a loop of cord thus: sorry pictures don't appear here. 5.