Toilet install / Guiness book of records

Hi all, some of you may remember me posting a few questions on here months ago regarding the proposed replacement of our bog. The trouble was that the existing soil outlet is virtually at floor height whilst the new one is about 200mm (8" in real money). This meant I'd have to rotate my existing pipe 90 degrees (which I managed, thanks for the tips) and add an elbow. Trouble is after rotation I'd need to lift the pan about 2" (50mm in new money) to get the elbow in ! (So I hastily turned it back and refitted the original). I noticed Tims earlier posting where he mentions his pot being up in the air and wonder 1 - if it's possible / permissible to do this and 2 - what do you stand the pot on (bearing in mind my 10 year old son has no apparent sense of direction so it would need to be water proof). SWMBO has threatened to contact the Guinness book of records over the length of time this projects taking so any help would be appreciated (I've tried to explain that you can't rush an artisan but you wouldn't believe the language she used). TIA, Richard

Reply to
Frisket

[T] When we had the rear single story bathroom / toilet extension built on the back of our 1897 'cottage' 10 years ago I fitted the pan slightly high as I'm 6'2" and at std height it's a long way down!

From memory we (the builder (my BIL) and I) sat the pan on something roughly the right height (some wood or summat) making sure the spacer was a good couple of inches smaller than the base of the pan all round. Once 'plumb' we then cemented round the edge and followed the contour of the pan all round, therefore making the cement blend in with the pan. Once set (cured?) we lifted the pan off again, sorted all the waste plumbing and re set it on some sealant (or similar) and left it again to cure. Once it had had dried out I painted the cement 'base' with a couple of coats of matching grey floor paint and that's how it's been ever since (you wouldn't even know it was there less you looked). All this of course is ok for a concrete floor! If it was to go on a wooden floor maybe you could make a couple of 1" 'spacers' the shape of the foot of the pan out of some of this waterproof / acid proof synthetic stuff they use for lab worktops these days (my BIL uses it all the time) and paint to match / contrast?

There's probably a better / quicker way but from memory that's what we did ..

[T] Any woman of mine that started that old nonsense would be handed the tools to do it herself while I cook the dinner .. ;-)

And you can tell her I said so! (you do live a long way from London right ..?) ;-(

All the best .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

You have nothing to worry about - I moved into this house in 1988 and I still haven`t plastered half the holes in the walls up :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Frisket" wrote | SWMBO has threatened to contact the Guinness book of records over | the length of time this projects taking

Sorry, no contest. My mother says she's still waiting for an electrician to return her Teasmade he took away for repair ... twenty-two years ago.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Surely not, I'm 6 foot and have less clearance than the shortar*es....

Reply to
OldScrawn

[T] Ah, I was talking about the height when sitting .. of course when standing there's *no* clearance whatsoever ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m