Toasters

It's an advantage - I can scare kids by drinking neat "red hot pepper sauce" (any brand available in supermarket) - they try one drop and their faces dissolve.

Unfortunately, Mr Colon gets more cranky with such endeavours, but who cares...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not only that, as you folded it down, fingers on the door nudged the bottom of the slice so it flipped over ready to repeat the singeing of the other side.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I wish they would reintroduce the proper long ones. The present ones are barely like a twig. sort of thing that will be done as a special edition with an increased price.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

There is another possibility though I don't want to put people off. The collection bins when I was involved were metal not much different in appearance to those plastic 4 wheeled bins used for commercial rubbish collection from shops etc. They were square and had a loose lid (brown with Marmite embossed on). The surplus yeast from brewing was tipped into these where it was wheeled outside whatever the weather. The yeast was fairly runny at that stage and the contents of the bin looked like a bulk delivery of cat poo and in hot weather the contents would get a bit warm. The lids were not a particulary tight fit and flies etc could get in. The lorry did not come every day. Sounds awful but if this was being repeated all over the country again it might have had an influence on the final flavour. Can't imagine the yeast is handled like that now and todays product may be too pure.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk:

AIUI the brewers *pay* Marmite to take the residue (not "surplus") away. I imagine that only a small proportion of what they're paid to collect goes into the edible product. I don't know how they dispose of the rest of it.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I was just about to do that.

whisky-dave

Dunno about them, we go for the 600g tubs from Costco. I think they were a bit over 4 quid but it's months since we last needed one so I can't be too sure of the price.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I remember needing to walk past their factory in Vauxhall on the way to Strand Electric's warehouse in the mid sixties. That smell was really disgusting - but didn't put me off the product though.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

There's only me who eats it (partner doesn't eat the things that Marmite= =

can sensibly go on like bread) so 250 g is as large a jar as I want.

Reply to
polygonum

I much preferred toast made on the large coal fired toaster with fork for attaching bread. I've never found an electric toaster to equal it,

Reply to
<me9

Having been camping this year for the first time in ages (kids wanted to, can't see the point now I can afford hotels with real beds :-)) I was impressed with my new camping toaster.

over gas burner, stainless mesh gets red hot in seconds. Bread on top.

Really fast so you get a crisp outside, and soft middle. If only someone could build a home toaster that did that...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Buy multiple camping ones and use them on a gas hob?

Or get one of these;

Huge

SWMBO often uses a bit of Marmite (among other things) in mince for applications like cottage pie etc. Seems to work rather nicely. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

What didn't kill us made us stronger, eh? Pah, today's mamby-pamby generation don't know what they're missing.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Funny thing is, I really only like Marmite as is traditional, on some fo= rm =

of bread or biscuit. As soon as it comes to adding into a dish I prefer = =

many of the other brands of yeast extract. But our shepherd's/cottage pi= e =

ends up with Worcestershire sauce... Or even Bovril.

Reply to
polygonum

Normally use some Worcestershire as well... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Funny thing is, I really only like Marmite as is traditional, on some form of bread or biscuit. As soon as it comes to adding into a dish I prefer many of the other brands of yeast extract. But our shepherd's/cottage pie ends up with Worcestershire sauce... Or even Bovril.

Favorite meal is granary bread toasted, spread withy marmite and topped with poached duck eggs ...

I collect the single serving Marmites form Hotels on business trips .. and take them on holiday ... was on a Dive boat in Red Sea ... and lots of people wished they had Marmite for toast. Only thing I add it to is tomato soup.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Sainsburys do a reduced salt yeast extract which does remarkably well in a breadcrumb-based stuffing for large mushrooms (including garlic, lemon juice and Olivio (or whatever it's called this week)).

The breadcrumbs I use are from Burgen "Soya and Llinseed" loaves.

Topped with loads of parsley before blackening under the grill :-)

Yummy!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Hmm - really? We have a 3-slot Dualit (not 'Lite') and I hadn't realised that the timer could be turned anti-clockwise (ie. reducing the time set).

As fred says, it gives the impression of not liking the idea. My attempts have been pretty gentle though; if the consensus is that you can indeed do this then I'll give it more of a bash.

As others have mentioned in uk.d-i-y, they work better with a short 'warm-up' period; I set the timer for (say) 3 mins, then actually put the bread in at about 2mins.

Cheers Jon N

We have the 4 slice Dualit with the mechanical timer.

Very pleased with it now that we have got the hang of setting the timer appropriately.

Yes it feels like you're forcing it when turning it backwards to 0, but it says in the instructions that that's OK.

My youngest found an alternative method last weekend. If you want to end the toasting prematurely just switch it off at the socket. The timer carries on whirring round but no more heat.

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

Are you thinking of the good old King's Toaster? ...

Simon Stroud