to crimp or not to crimp ?

...that is the question. I'm at the stage of wiring up the control & power boxes for my homebuilt kiln. Uses a couple of 40A contactors, some low-current switching relays, a homebuilt over-temperature 'safety' circuit and a commercial kiln controller module.

The heavy-duty stuff is din-rail mounted - max current is c. 30A @ 240v.

Just wondering - is it preferable to terminate the wiring into the din-rail-mounted components with crimp-on ferrules (I have the proper ratchet crimp-tool) in order to keep things neat & tidy - or wouldn't you bother ?

The wiring will be a mix of flexible multi-strand and 'standard' mains cable...

Instinct says 'crimp it' - as it's not a lot more effort, and reduces the risk of stray strands of wire hanging about...

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Ferrules are a good idea for when you want multi strand wire into a screwed connection. Not necessary for the solid core.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John! I guess that if there's a solid core plus a multi-strand in the same connection then it's ok to ferrule the multi but not the solid core ?

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Trying to put more than one ferrule terminated cable under a single screw is, I think, a bad idea.

Reply to
cl

If you have the terminal capacity, and do them up tight.

Reply to
John Rumm

I find that when flexes are ferruled in a 13A plug, the screw seems to need re-tightening after a while because the ferrule "gives" a little. This doesn't happen nearly as much if the un-ferruled copper is doubled over and pushed in the terminal in the time honoured way.

Reply to
Graham.