To all those saddos wanting a generator

You can now add me - bloody power cut

CPC (whose website is down ATM, but SI1525002 if it returns) have a flyer with a Wolf 1200W, "quiet", 4 stroke genny for £118 + VAT

Does that sound good, or are there much better deals around ?

Anything else important to know ?

Reply to
geoff

Got that model when Screwfix sold it. Not totally convinced. Found it hard to start, nay almost impossible, with the cheapo short reach spark plug supplied. Better with the longer reach NGK I fitted. Powers the boiler fine with a N-E link fitted. Struggles to pick up a Coldwatcher 500W resistive test load (slightly surprisingly) and (less surprisingly) my 350W angle grinder. Not tried it on the freezer yet.

No idea if other cheap gennys are better but that model seems to be end of line.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

In message , Jim Alexander writes

Can you remember how much ?

Hmm...

Anyone any other suggestions then ?

Reply to
geoff

Makro usually have a small selection including a 2.2KVA diesel genny that seems popular for about £200. Thye have smaller and larger petrol ones as well..

Reply to
John Rumm

£129.99 just before the big floods

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

In message , Jim Alexander writes

Up again now

yes - "Please note: this product will no longer be stocked."

£118.90 in the flyer
Reply to
geoff

All of the cheap Chinese petrol generators are hard to start and have dubious long term reliability. You only get what you pay for, as you are well aware.

-
Reply to
Mark

Some of them are designed for a service life of 500 hrs. Just 2 or 3 seasons holidays in an American motor home plus the odd power cut.

In Wickes yesterday I saw a 2.2Kva petrol genny which had a Mitsubishi motor, for £199 including VAT.

Maybe that would be better DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I don't understand why ANY small petrol engines should be hard to start. Surely they aren't any different from a standard Briggs and Stratton style lawnmower engine? And these are VERY reliable. I or my parents before me have had numerous small engines like that, driving lawnmowers or cultivators, and they've consistently been a doddle to operate, including starting. Maybe it's the fuel where you are? It's not like starting an old Fordson tractor!

MM

Reply to
MM

Me neither. But my garden kit ranges from my Robin brushcutter which starts first pull to the McCulloch chainsaw which is an absolute pig to get going. I knew I said I was never going to buy another Electrolux product ever again for a good reason. Mind you, the starting instructions are absolute pants and flood it completely every time, and now I ignore them it's a little easier to start.

Reply to
Huge

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

A lot depends on an exact sequence that starts it.

I managed to flood a fuel injected XK8 to the point where it took 5 minutes cranking pedal to the metal to start it..

My Stihl chainsaw is either a pig, or dead simple to start, depending on whether its me staring it or someone else.

Full choke and pull till it kicks. IMMEDIATELY half choke and pull till it starts, then choke off immediately.

I had a strimmer that would NOT start. Traced that to a blocked klunk. Never ever had that before.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Buy one then and find out for yourself

A friend runs a small garden machinery business and he will not now not sell or take in for repair anything with a Chinese engine, they really are C*%^P

FWIW I collect just about anything with an engine ranging from a 1914 Triumph motorbike, Villiers powered generators, 12piston Rolls-Royce multi fuel engines, ive even got a 1931 Petrol concrete mixer and a Fordson tractor, the only thing that's an ass to start is a 1000cc Vincent.

-
Reply to
Mark

Aldi recently had a deal, local one still had a pile, cant remember details but 1Kw, usually like 750VA in real money , but think was sub hundred. B&Q dinky little 750W at just under 60 quid.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Normal behaviour of a 2 stroke...

No primer bubble to press or full throttle until it runs? But other than that standard 2 stroke starting proceedure. Choke off straight after it runs is variable my strimmer likes maybe 10 or 20 seconds running before you can take the choke off. The real trick is knowing your engine...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Still a pile in our Aldi - but I noticed it was a 2-stroke, so with ny luck the carb would always be gunged up when it was needed.

Geo

Reply to
Geo