Titan 8" Sliding Mitre Saw With Laser 230V

Any views on this,

would I get better results with a butter knife and a protractor.

It won't be used that often so I don't want to spend more than I have to, but at the same time I don't want to spend £80 on something that'll fall apart taking it out of the box.

Jon

Reply to
jon

it will probably be fine, the laser will be almost useless.

for £80 it's worth a punt. if it cuts badly send it back, even if you've used it as it's not fit for purpose.

Reply to
.

Looks OKish, but has a small blade (210mm instead of 255mm) and it isn't clear if it has twin metal sliders of a substantial nature.

I spent 99 on mine from B&Q a couple of years ago which had these features. Works fine. No laser.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've sent lots of stuff back to screwfix. On the plus side, they never make a fuss. On the minus side, some of their no-name tools are utter junk. Generally with mitre saws you pay for capacity. Note that there's

3 types of movement, the simple hinged ones, the hinge and slide and the type that slide first THEN hinge on the end of the slide - I wish I had bought the latter for the larger capacity and their ability to do trenchcuts. Remember whatever it says on the spec, the capacity on bevels/mitres will be reduced. You don't say if you want to cut floor joists or bits of kitchen trim?
Reply to
dom

Cheers all, just ordered it.

It's for "general work" such as architraves, kitchen pelmets and the odd bit of skirting. But it'll probably only get used 3 or 4 times a year, just like my router. If I was ever to do this diy malarkey for a living then I would've probably spent over 3 times as much, but as I said it's just for bits and bobs.

Jon

Reply to
jon

I wouldn't touch it. I've looked at and used several Titan machines (but not this one), and they've all been extremely crap.

If you want a good budget sliding mitre saw, consider this one:

better than the Titan, both in longevity and performance.

Reply to
Grunff

Too late, already bought it, and it arrived last Friday. It looks ok, the plastic bits look plasticy, but it doesn't seem too flimsy, and the sliding action is nice and snug.

It may well break down after a couple of heavy sessions, but at that price it's worth the risk, and if it does I'll have learnt a lesson. But until then it'll do.

Jon

Reply to
jon

This looks better value:

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I had a similar one and found it too restrictive because of the cutting depths, etc. One which uses a 255mm blade is much more useful. To me, at least.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)