Time to hang the water regulators

No, it like talking crap, which what you are doing.

Reply to
Bazzer Smith

No change there, then.

Reply to
Peter Ward

  1. Learn to spell. If you want to swear, have the balls to do so rather than bowdlerising yourself.
  2. Make up your mind.
Reply to
Amethyst Deceiver

A long time ago I had a letter from the water company asking if we would like to convert to a meter. From calculating our expected usage it seemed we would be paying more with a meter (and that's before we had kids!).

Maybe things have changed nowadays?

Reply to
Mark

It all depends on the relative water charges and the rateable value of the property.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

There's a (large) limit you're allowed to extract without permission. Several thousand litres a day, IIRC.

Reply to
Huge

Most of which needed replacing.

Reply to
Huge

Ah, that's interesting. In that case someone at the EA lied to me. I may well have another go.

Reply to
Steve Firth

"If you want to take more than 20 cubic metres (4,000 gallons) of water per day from a river, stream or canal, you probably need a licence." Doesn't mention boreholes, but if you download the first PDF, the guide to getting an abstraction licence, on page 4 it says "or from an underground source" and repeats the 20 cubic metres restriction.

Reply to
Huge

Another minor issue is that you have to test the water quality fairly regularly. Bloke at work used to get his water from a well and was annoyed to have to pay someone "official" to run a test that he was better qualified to do himself.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I was more interested in taking a hot water and toilet flush feed from a borehole and leaving drinking water to come from the mains, then moving onto a metered tariff. I'd be pissed if I had to have water quality tested for bog flushing purposes.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
Steve Firth

They'll probably tell you that you need to stick labels on your bog warning the unwary not to drink from the pan. Rainwater not an option then? I toyed with the idea of running a pipe from a couple of water butts to the bog cistern, but CBA. And our water rates are only a hundred quid a year anyway.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

A lot more work. I would need to bury a 1000-2000 litre tank.

Reply to
Steve Firth