Tiling over old adhesive

Finally got a new utility room. We've put most of the old kitchen in there - units and worktops - together with a Belfast sink. I want to tile it myself to cut down cost, but I've never tiled before (I was a professional decorator for many years, so I'm familiar with the importance of preparation). I plan to use white 6" tiles. The area to be tiled was previously tiled but the old tiles were ripped off. Can I tile over the old adhesive? It may end up being a bit uneven, but I don't care much - the only real consideration is providing a splashback.

Thanks

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

just a little tip. Use a wallpaper stripper on the old tile adhesive. More often than not it just softens and can be sraped off with no effort. it has worked for me many times. Good luck

Reply to
roystonallen

Cool! I'll see if I can find my old stripper, though I'd be surprised if the boiler wasn't shot.

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips