tiling onto browning plaster

I'm replacing a few tiles (about 25) on a fully tiled bathroom wall, and where I've removed the old ones, the skim plaster coat has come off, leaving browning underneath (which is flat). Can I tile onto the browning coat with a slightly thicker layer of adhesive ? If not, what is the minimum state to get the wall into for the tiles ? TIA, Simon.

Reply to
Simon

In message , Simon writes

Seal the browning with diluted PVA first. Small bits of missing skim shouldn't be a problem, but if areas are larger than a tile then the extra thickness of adhesive required can make placing the tiles more tricky. I'm in process of tiling a bathroom now, odd missing bits of finish plaster I'm just tiling over as above. Where a shower valve was set in to the wall, it was just plastered round with undercoat plaster, not finishing skim - no point.

In fact, even worse, I had the move the flippin shower valve 1/4" due to the tiles being narrower than expected, I replastered around it, and then tiled straight on top of the small area of plaster then hadn't even set.

Now where's me horse?

Reply to
Steven Briggs