tiling adhesive: coverage

I'm tiling the conservatory floor - about 20m2 in total.

I've just finished my first 10 litre tub of adhesive and got exactly 50 tiles of 330 mm2 out of it. The tiles come out at 9 to the square metre, so these

50 cover 5.5m2. The blurb on the adhesive tub says it covers 12m2, so I'm getting less than half of that. I don't think I'm slapping it on too thick - just using a normal tiling float to get the ridged effect.

What are other people's experiences? Is the advertising misleading, or is there a trick to getting a thinner layer.

Reply to
pete

Missleading Man

If the floor is flat use what you need.They will not move.

Micky

Reply to
Micky Savage

Or Dot a dab.

Reply to
Micky Savage

Having a bit more of a think about it, I reckon that what they say on the tin isn't mathematically possible. The instructions say to use a notched trowel and a 3mm thickness. Now 10 litres is 10,000 cm3 - which would cover an area 100x100cm to a depth of 1cm. It would therefore cover 3.33 metres to a depth of 3mm. However, since the notched trowel removes half of the goop, the coverage would be doubled, to 6.6m2. I don't see how they can get the coverage they claim, with the instructions they state. Hmmm.

Reply to
pete

I'd not use that for floor tiles - they need even supporting across their entire area.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)