Three-year-old loft conversion suddenly very noisy

Wankers.

BTW did I ever mention that my Dad was in charge of British Coals (Yorkshire area) subsidence department?

Reply to
ARW

Belated thanks for all the new replies.

The current situation is that the disturbing noises have almost entirely stopped: I still hear the very occasional single noise, more a creak than a crack and nothing like as loud as previously.

I'm inclined to agree with everyone who suggested a greater than usual degree of shrinkage in the timbers, possibly specifically the floor/ceiling construction. What very minor cracks are evident in the walls have been there since shortly after the job was finished and have never increased (and one day I really must fill them) so after a minor initial semi-panic I'm inclined to think that nothing serious has happened or is still happening. One change that is noticeable is that the floor of the new loft room is definitely noisier and has very slightly more give than previously, but not enough (I tell myself) to be alarming.

Tomorrow, when the entire structure collapses, I might have to eat my words...

Reply to
Bert Coules

We had wet winter, then a very cold spell (with heating on ++) and now a prolonged dry spell. I suspect timbers are just drying out.

Reply to
Andrew

The evidence so far suggests that your suspicion is quite correct. Thanks for your thoughts.

Reply to
Bert Coules

the 3-drawer chest of drawers in my bedroom is made of composite wood panels with a nice veneered finish. At various times of the year as the humidity and temperature changes it emits a loud 'boing' as some part of it expands /contracts and slides across another part of the structure.

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks for that. Reassuring.