This bit of snow

they also cope better with (mild) standing water

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Doesn't the DLR do that? Vague memory...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I agree about the billyuns. But perhaps the trains could be converted to dual standard first (I was thinking about this last night). We already have such trains round here.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not quite. My understanding is that it works more like a limited slip diff -if one side starts spinning, it brakes it a bit to feed some power to the other side. You snake a bit, but keep moving.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, but your qualification wasn't attached to the right part of the sentence....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Which regs you thinking of? Tractors doing ploughing round here the last couple of days.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ah, those regs :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

The one that I followed down the lanes on Tuesday wasn't. It was towing a large trailer full of livestock.

The farm loader that was broken down coming the other way wasn't laid up, either. More's the pity.

Reply to
Adrian

So lift off a bit - you keep moving.

Reply to
Adrian

Sure, no problem with dual standard trains as such (weren't the Eurostars triple initially?) But all the trains used on a given line would have to be converted first - you'd have to re-engineer a set of trains not designed for it. Would there then be mechanical interference between the two systems?

Reply to
Tim Streater

DLR does, yes. But the whole system is like that and the trains don't go on other tracks.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's not steam, as steam is invisible.

What it's far more likely to be is a condensation plume. The warmer road evaporates moisture which then condenses in the air above it. We've had a couple of (large!) local potholes filled in today with hot tarmac and there are still sizable plumes over both of them. even a couple of hours later.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Landrover (in the 1960s at least) had an official plans book for how to make snowploughs etc. for mounting on a Landie. Remember that it was designed originally for "light ploughing" too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

AFAIK, all the points in the UK already have heaters. BICBW.

Reply to
Huge

Yes.

Reply to
Huge

Or in the case of the London-Brighton Thameslink line, triple standard, since they already have both overhead wire and sliding shoe pickups.

(What retard allowed that to happen, BTW?)

Reply to
Huge

Awww, bless. TNP extending his utter ignorance into yet another field.

Malcolm was spreading something (fertiliser?) on the winter wheat a few days ago. Since the ground's frozen they can get a tractor on it, which they couldn't if the temperature was above freezing, because it would be too soggy.

Reply to
Huge

Allowed what to happen?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Lawks a mercy!

Reply to
Tim Streater

Of course, you'll have the NIMBYs out: "overhead lines look ugly...".

I must admit, a pair of tracks look quite pleasant on the landscape, but overhead wires and the supporting gantries look hideous... But I'd rather have a working train...

Reply to
Tim Watts