Cherry picker hire?

We have some work to do on the guttering of our house and also next door's but these are terraced houses and it's at the front, ie, on the street, and means that the method of access to the gutters has to be movable along the length of both houses. If we hire some sort of scaffolding or access tower it means time and effort spent in erecting/taking down the thing and may make the job span two days, plus we have to get a street permit from the council (£23).
So, I was thinking that maybe we could hire one of these van-mounted cherry picker thingies that you see guys using for street lighting maintenance. We should be able to park it in the place where I normally park my car and no time spent erecting/stripping down means that we could get the job done in the one day - much easier all round.
However, all the hire sites I've looked at so far seem to suggest that you have to go on a training course before you can use one of these things. The course (on successful completion) seems to give you a card that lasts for 5 years. In other words, it seems that they are training you for a career in using elevating platforms and looking towards future employment, which is obviously no good for someone who wants to hire it for a day while his mate goes and does some work on the gutters. Have I got this right? Is there really no way Joe Public can just hire one for a day?
TIA
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 15:19:31 +0000, Pete Zahut wrote:

What are the hire prices like there? They're ridiculously expensive this side of the Atlantic - it's more cost-effective to outright buy a used one and sell it again when you're done, assuming you have the funds and storage space.
(I suspect it might be more cost-effective to simply pay someone to do the work for you too, unfortunately)
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
βœ–

Probably because of the liability insurance...
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 43rd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3176
"Always mount a scratch monkey."

A decorator fiend of mine hired one to paint the ceiling in the foyer of a big office block.
He neglected to put the stays out.
It tipped over trapping him in the "bucket" on account of his ample girth and all the acid ran out of the batteries and took the finish off the marble floor.
Derek
Add pictures here
βœ–

All cherry pickers I have used would not operate if the stays were not out correctly. There should be interlocks on them. I wonder if he really did forget or if they were bypassed or faulty? What did HSE have to say about it?
I can sympathise with the Marble floor, some years ago I drilled through the side of a lead acid battery in a bus and deposited copious amounts of acid on their nice new works shop concrete floor, it fizzed well!

--
Bill

Add pictures here
βœ–
Jules Richardson wrote:

Well, it seems that something around £100 to £120 + VAT and collision damage waiver of £25 would get us a suitable van mounted thing for a day (7.30am to 5.30pm. Weekend, pickup Friday drop off Monday is £198).
Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'd fit the supply and fit the gutter to 2 typical terrace houses for around £200. That'd include painting the fascia before fitting the new gutter. Material cost is not much above £40, so a good earner at £200. Much better to pay someone than hiring, buying materials, and DIYing.
Alan.

βœ–
A.Lee wrote:

No good for us though. These are lead-lined stone gutters on houses built in 1874 and it's a problem with the lead. I posted in here a while back and someone suggested that we need a proper old-time plumber/leadburner to sort it. We contacted the Lead Contractors Association and found that the nearest one to us is about 50 miles away and he's not interested in such a small job.
For the record, the roof was refelted, rebattened and reslated about 5 years ago. The guys said that it would be prudent to reline the lead while the scaffolding was up, so they did. It was OK for about 3 years and then damp showed up in the bedroom. Got someone else in (a builder) who said that it looked like the joint between our's and next door's lead. He did something that seemed to work but again, we've got damp. So, a roofer and a builder have failed to sort it, hence someone's suggestion to get a proper leadburner in - but we can't. So my mate is now going to have a go :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 01/12/10 17:12, Pete Zahut wrote:

I think the idea of a rope over the ridge for safety and a ladder (maybe with a standoff) is a good one. You can hire long ladders. You dont know where the water's getting in, even hiring scafolding or a cherry picker might result in a look and then no action whilst you figure out the next move (having posted photos here)
Or maybe you will find leaves blocking a downpipe and solve it in 2 minutes.
[g]
Add pictures here
βœ–
george [dicegeorge] wrote: ... snipped

... snipped
I've done this when (rather foolishly) hanging over the edge of the back side and end of the roof to paint the soffits and barge boards. It was tied to a very substantial tree; it didn't get tested but it gave a lot of confidence. If you slipped and were left "hanging around" it would be interesting to see how long it takes for whoever finds you to stop laughing andstart to help ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Must be time to wheel this out again;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_trauma
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 43rd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3176
"Always mount a scratch monkey."
βœ–

Where are you?
--
geoff

Add pictures here
βœ–
geoff wrote:

Preston, Lancashire.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 15:19:31 +0000, Pete Zahut wrote:

What are the hire prices like there? They're ridiculously expensive this side of the Atlantic - it's more cost-effective to outright buy a used one and sell it again when you're done, assuming you have the funds and storage space.
(I suspect it might be more cost-effective to simply pay someone to do the work for you too, unfortunately)
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
βœ–
harry wrote:

Yeah but the problem with that is that my mate would need a hand to erect/take down the scaffolding. I can't help him because of medical problems so it means paying a second man, which in turn brings the financial outlay within the realms of the cherry picker hire prices which he could operate himself and it's a much easier thing all round.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Pete Zahut" wrote in message
[...]
I have seen them for hire on ebay before. I doubt the vendors there are so fussy! Regards Bruce
Add pictures here
βœ–
BruceB wrote:

For hire on ebay?? Well, I'd never realised that - I'll have a look over there. Cheers Bruce!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Pete Zahut wrote:

1) why can't you use a ladder?
2) if you go down the road of hiring cherry-pickers etc and going on a training course etc, it will cost more than getting someone to do the job for you.
3) what job needs to be done on the gutters?
--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008
Phil L wrote:

Bleedin' elf n safely innit!! Mind you, I wouldn't be the one up there anyway.

Oh yes, I've already found that out.

See my reply to A.Lee at 17.12 :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–