Thinning undercaot

I have a tin of leyland exterior undercoat (oil based) I am finding it difficult to spread as it is like treacle and the small area I have done will need sanding. It states on the tin do not thin but it is impossible to use as is, am I likely to cause any issues if I use a small amount of paint thinner to thin it.

Reply to
ss

I should have mentioned the thinners is white spirit and not turpentine substitute.

Reply to
ss

Might it be worth giving their tech support a quick ring or email?

Reply to
John Rumm

Give it a damned good stir with a drill?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Its well stirred and made no difference.

Reply to
ss

So thin it. It's only paint. White spirit works a bit less well than turps subs but it does the job.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Its not ment to be thixotropic is it ?

Reply to
fred

I dont think so as it has been well stirred.

Reply to
ss

Whoosh...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thixotropic suspensions, e.g. non-drip paints, thin when subject to high shear (e.g. stirred), but thicken up again quite rapidly on standing.

Reply to
Chris Hogg