thin wheels for rotary tool

I got a Clarke CRT40 rotary tool a few months ago & I wonder if it's possible to get just a good number of the extra cutting wheels I need, without having to buy a kit consisting mostly of other bits.

The part I'm interested in is a thin (unfortunately fragile) circular disk, about 20 to 25 mm diameter, which I use edge-on for cutting plastic housings open; for example, the 7 or so reddish-brown disks in the bottom of the picture here.

'm not exactly sure what it's called ("cut-off disk"? but googling that gives me big ones for angle grinders), so I'm not sure where to look for a supply of them.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I'm not exactly sure what it's called ("cut-off disk"? but googling

I'd imagine you'd find them on Ebay - like so much else.

I've got two types - the very thin rigid ones which shatter easily, and something more like a angle grinder one which is slightly flexible but thicker. And lasts much better, where you don't need such a thin kerf.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

> I'm not exactly sure what it's called ("cut-off disk"? but googling

Baz

I find the cheapest way to get them is to buy a kit from halfrauds. Yes there's loads of things that I don't want but the kits cost less than buying a pack of 20 cutting disks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

>> I'm not exactly sure what it's called ("cut-off disk"? but googling

Thanks. But what are they called?! (Especially the second kind.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

right name for the part?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Well, I thought it might come to that but was worth asking about anyway. I hadn't thought to check Halford's, though; thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I call them cut-off discs. But that doesn't mean it's correct. ;-)

You can also get diamond coated on steel ones which should be less fragile.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These are the ones you need

not at that price

i bought a pack of 50 for £10 at Kempton autojumble a few years ago I did have the sellers business card, will have a look for it later.

-
Reply to
Mark

I buy a couple of packs at a time, and IIRC they were about £5 a pack at my local place.

A quick look at eBay shows these:

postage price is stupidly high, but they still work out as the cheapest per disk that I can find.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Peter Parry

Well, you have to consider the postage as part 2 of the price with eBay, and the unit price overall works out reasonably well. Thanks for the pointer. (I got some in the post today.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

You're welcome.

Can you give an indication of Value for Money when you've used a few?

Reply to
Steve Firth

a good selction of packs never bought frmo them.

NT

Reply to
NT

Anywhere that sells proper "rotary tools" and accessories. E.g.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Dremel / Proxxon

- 20-25mm - shatter-me-quick

- 32-38mm - glass fibre reinforced which tolerate snags better

Die Grinder

- 50mm - glass fibre reinforced

- Air tools usually, there are electric (about =A3140-220)

You can get glass fibre reinforced cutting discs 32-38mm on Ebay, China ones are cheap but have poor quality control (assume 10% unusable, further 15-20% have poorly embedded glass fibre mesh).

If you can use a 1mm angle grinder disc in cordless drill arbor you will get a far longer lived solution (slot climb out may be a problem, along with sheer diameter being so much bigger).

Have a look at the stuff on Ebay, makes a useful "multi-shop" window if nothing else.

Reply to
js.b1

long lived yes, useful no

Reply to
NT

AFAICT they are exactly the same as the ones that came with the tool.

Also, I'm learning to pull the mandrel and disk carefully out of the chuck without breaking the disk, so I think that batch will last a while now. :-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Oh good news. I had to cut some small screws to length last week and used my "Generic Rotary Tool" which reminded to go and look for cheap grey cutting disks because I'm close to running out of those.

With me they all fragment before they wear out.

Reply to
Steve Firth

For me, the first 3 or so disks broke after one use each, when I was trying to get the disk & mandrel out of the chuck to put the tool away (it doesn't fit in the case with that stuff still attached). That's what motivated me to ask about bulk-buying the one part. Using pliers instead of fingers may help. I'll probably look for the fibrous ones next, using some of the other links suggested.

YFMV [your fingers may vary].

Reply to
Adam Funk