Rotary tool

Any comments on the machine mart rotary tool?

I don't really want to spend the money for a dremel as it is only for occasional use mostly in parting stainless steel screws up to O BA (6mm) in size.

Reply to
Alang

Wow, it's a fantastic price - I paid almost that just for a flexible drive for my Dremel.

It looks a comparable power to the standard dremel (model 300) and similar top speed.

Where the look alikes tend to fail on is in the slow speed. The dremel 300 will go down to 10K rpm whereas this one will only go down to 17K rpm.

My dremel goes down to 5K which I need because I use it for model work on plastics and turn the speed up too much and it melts rather than cuts.

If you aren't going to use the slow speeds (which you wont for cutting screws) then I don't think you can go wrong with the one you have found.

Cheers,

Nigel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4849 (20100208) __________

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.

I have a fair bit of Clarke stuff (mini-lathe, drill press, bench grinder etc.) and find it good value and reasonable quality for sure.

I use my Dremel 300 for all sorts of jobs both craft and DIY - so I have 90 degree attachment, mini-circular saw for cutting sheet materials etc. It's well made and very comfortable to use too and I think I can (almost!) justify more than double the price for the use it gets and the extra attachments it supports.

But if you just need it for occasional use, this looks a really good deal. I can't tell from the picture whether the motor brushes are easily replaced as they are on the Dremel - but if it's low usage anyway, that might not be much of a concern.

Two hints regarding any tool like this:

  1. Beware of thin abrasive cutting disks shattering (always wear eye protection + I always use fibre mesh re-inforced cutting disks nowadays, having had two disks go like this).

  1. On e-bay you'll find diamond grit cutting disks sold which are great for re-cutting the slots in screws, cutting ceramics etc. Well worth getting - I use them lots.

Midge.

"Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>" Wow, it's a fantastic price - I paid almost that just for a flexible drive

Midge