Thick laminate and hollow bathroom door?

Ah. Just thought of this.

Fitting thick laminate in the bathroom this weekend. Forgot about the door. Its a hollow cheap door so I guess Im limited in how much I can saw off the bottom?

Any way around this? Is there any way to remove the bottom bit completely, saw the frame bit, then somehow put this bit back in?

I'm guessing having no bottom bit with just a hole/hollow gap would be not good?

Other alternative I guess is new solid door but, of course thats a lot of hassle.

Reply to
paulfoel

may help. It didn't take much googling.

Reply to
mark.bluemel

I did this to a door many years back and I seem to recall it was a satisfactory result. I was shortening the door by around a foot so just sawed off and reinserted the bottom rail with glue. I doubt if you would get the bottom rail out on its own as it will be glued in. So it may depend on how much you are shortening by.

Reply to
ss

yeah.. just hack the base off and infill the thing with wood/old bottom strip/car body filler etc. etc.

It's not rocket science

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1. The affected region is not doing anything "structural" apart from withstanding kids kicking it.

Don't pay Halfords prices; this is the one I use

but eBay has 1 litre packs for £8.

Reply to
newshound

Hollow doors vary in the height of the bottom frame member. They usually have at least an inch, and you can cut half of this off without worrying too much.

How much your door has will depend on how much it had to start with and whether it has already been trimmed.

It's easy enough the replace the wood at the bottom if necessary - just cut a piece of softwood to size, and glue it between the side pieces. [It's usually easier to use a completely new piece of wood rather than trying to rescue the original piece - but only if you've got a table saw which makes it easy to cut to the exact width to fit the gap].

Hollow doors are usually filled with a cardboard honeycomb, to give them some rigidity. You may need to cut some of this away to enable the new bottom rail to go in - that is if you do cut enough off to need to replace the bottom rail.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That's not a bad price for the 3.5 ltr. The car finishing trade places have all disappeared round here. Actually the Toolstation stuff (Profil) is ok for small jobs.

Reply to
stuart noble

Bloodly hell that is thick laminate:-)

Reply to
ARW

he wants it to last

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Or use the canned fixing foam.

Reply to
harry

that's mean. If the OP's fool enough to do that, at least video it for us

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr