Thermostatic valves and room stat.

Just a thought.

If I put all thermostatic valves on the house rads then does the room stat essentially becomes redundant. This presumably isnt a good idea. i.e. all rads have reached their individual temps but the room stat is set say slightly higher in temp so the pump never switches off!

Maybe I should leave one of the big rads in the lounge without a TRV then the pump will switch off correctly.

Has anybody any comments, have I correctly understood the situation?

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

Yes. Leave the rad cloest to the room stat TRV free.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

More important than the pump, the *boiler* will not switch off either - but will cycle on its stat to keep itself warm unnecessarily. So you need to use a room stat in a room *without* a TRV in order to provide a 'boiler interlock'.

Reply to
Set Square

Do not put the roomstat in a room with a secondary heating source e.g. open fire, since that will confuse it and it will shut all your other rads down. Usual place for the roomstat is in the hallway. Actually, it's quite tricky, since you want to size your radiator in the room with the thermostat to be slightly less powerful than the rest so that the other rooms get up to temperature slightly before the room with the roomstat does. This prevents the roomstat from satisfying itself that it is at the right temperature and turning all the other rads off when the other rads maybe haven't heated their rooms up properly yet. I suppose you could throttle back your roomstat radiator by using the lockshield valve on it, if there is a problem.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy