Thermostatic Rad Valves

I need to remove a radiator for decorating purposes. I am OK with the 'normal' valves and locksheilds, but this one is a TVR, the only one in the house don't ask why I don't know, probably the baby's room of the previous occupier. The system is a sealed system, filling loop on the boiler etc. How do I isolate this radiator in order to remove it? I have visions of the valve opening during the night and flooding the house! In this warmer weather will turning it down to the frost marking be sufficient?

Thanks

John

Reply to
John

Do you have a "cap" for the TRV? Probably not if you didn't fit it....

This will close the valve right down! I don't know if the Frost setting in summer will be sufficient.

I removed a rad (to send back to Screwfix) and left just the TRV on the closed position - it emptied the system down to no pressure and boiler didn't come on on coldest night of the year when I wasn't around = unchuffed wife!

Sorry I can't be more positive - but I can warn you against leaving the TRV unattanded for any period of time.

Here's the thread where I got pointed in the direction of the "cap" - says you might be ok if there's no "cold snap":

Paul

Reply to
Paul J S Green

This site should help John: (watch out for wrap on the link)

BigWallop

When you buy the valves they come with a cap to turn them off, just remove the thermostatic head and use this cap. I guess you don’t have the required cap, so you could try at the plumber’s merchants and ask there if they have one. You will need the make of valve, as they are all different. Try posting the make on here perhaps some kind person will send you one. I would not try just turning it down, that sounds like a possible disaster in the offering, other wise drain the system down. Rob

Reply to
rob w

Yes it should be but you can always put a temporary cap on the outlet pipe once the rad is off. About a quid from your local plumb centre.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

"How's life Norm?" "Not for the squeamish, Coach" (Cheers, 1982)

Reply to
Dave Baker

I'd immediately take the TVR and have it as a second car then.

Vroom Vroom!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher