Fitting Thermostatic Radiator Valves

I'm planning on replacing the standard radiator valves with thermostaic ones during the summer this year. I've got a system in a new house with small bore (10mm external diam.) pipe that drops vertically from the valve about 30cm then takes a right angle into the wall (its the new kind of construction with 'hollow' walls, plasterboard then a gap then the brick wall). The downstairs rads all have drain valves fitted.

I've fitted new valves on radiators before, but that was on 15mm systems with the pipes going all the way down to the floor and allowed more room for manouvering etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips how to proceed, especially with regard to draining. I don't want to lift the carpet away, but don't want to risk dripping the dirty water on it. How is this job done by the professionals with a minimum of fuss? I once drained the system with small bore pipe years ago and had terrible problems filling it again, getting rid of the air took a lot of messing around.

Any advice appreciated.

Mr E

Reply to
Mr E

Try somewhere like Plumbcenter. They list TRV4s at around £19, but you should be able to negotiate them down a fair way - I think I paid about £12 for mine a couple of years ago.

Alternatively......

Pegler Terrier from Plumbcenter for £15 list......

Honeywell from BES

for about £10

should all be OK. .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks for the link to BES I hadn't found them. I did come across Drayton RT212 for 8.45 incl VAT here though

seem heavily discounted so I will probably order those.

I take it that Fernox MB1 will be sufficient as an additive.

So now I feel ready to tackle the job!

Cheers

Mr E

Reply to
Mr E

Danfoss TRVs are good.

Reply to
IMM

If you intend living there for a while, get the Drayton valves. Cheap ones will last about 5 years - and one or more of them, probably less.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Do you think these will be good quality?

are Drayton RT212 at a good price.

Reply to
Mr E

I'm sure IMM will see it as heresy, but you can get push-fit Pegler Terriers from screwfix for 10.99 if you don't want to tighten up all those compression fittings. Alternatively if tightening compression joints is your thing then the compression Peglers are 8.99.

Fash

Reply to
Stephen Fasham

Go for the 8.99, it all adds up. There is no advantage in your situation in going pushfit.

Reply to
IMM

Ok I've found them, do they seem to be a better choice than the Drayton RT212 at about the same price?

Reply to
Mr E