Thermodynamics and MHI

185$shi$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

Because he's a miserable, envious old fart with his head up his arse. With the RHI you get =A3300 subsidy for the installation of solar thermal panels plus further payments for seven years.

Reply to
harry

Because he's a miserable, envious old fart with his head up his arse. With the RHI you get £300 subsidy for the installation of solar thermal panels plus further payments for seven years.

I got the envy bit. What my leaflet describes is something different to solar thermal, it has panels and works 24/7 in all temps above -26 deg.

mark

Reply to
mark

No. The =A3300 for solar panel instalation is the RHPP (Renewable Heat Premium Payment) Phase 1 or Phase 2, I think Phase 2 is still active. Phase 1 closed at the end of March 2012. As I understand it RHPP will stop when RHI starts (or before if the pot of money runs out...).

RHI (Renewable Heat Incentive) might (it is still only at ideas/consultation stage) pay qualifying systems a tarrif per kWhr produced (probably deemed to be produced for solar thermal) for seven years, maybe.

Green Deal provides for the installation of insulation and other thermal= improvements to homes. Paid for by a levy on the electricty bill.

To qualify for RHI payments the home must have all the Green Deal (aka insulation) boxes ticked and have a valid MCS certificate. Currently there doesn't seem much, if anything, to help with the initial capital required to install a system that will qualify for RHI/RHPP. The Energy =

Company Obligation (ECO) (replaces CERT and CESP programmes) might be able to assist for the poorest or "difficult" buildings (ie solid walls =

etc).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Scan (photograph) and post somewhere or is there a website? My curiosity has been tweaked. It could be air source heat pump but they have "boxes" with absorbers and fans rather a "panel".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah. It must be heat pumps. Air or ground source. But they too are on the RHI thing. The details haven't been sorted out but the ground source heat pumps are definitely in the scheme and the air source ones might be last time I looked.

"Bio-mass boilers" are also in the scheme.

Reply to
harry

As you say for the RHI you have to fund it yourself. The Green Deal was for the poor people with no money. There is no "income" attached to that scheme. As long as the house is up to insulation standard you can go for other RHI schemes regardless if it was Green Deal or not. I have a sales rep coming round next week so I'll post anything I find out.

Reply to
harry

Here it is:

mark

Looks and smells like snake oil. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Something along the lines of an air source heat pump combined with a solar panel by the looks of it. Be interesting to see the graph of power output as a function of insolation and air temperature.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Air/solar source heat pump with electric backup/top-up.

Reply to
harry

- circuited ?

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

In message , mark writes

You'd get more energy burning the faeries at the bottom of your garden

Prolly won't get you a grant, but it might get you put on the sex offenders register

Reply to
geoff

How many kW does the "control " electronics take?

Reply to
geoff

Now take several steps back Harry and thing how much "electric backup/top-up" the system might just need at -26C

Reply to
geoff

Compared to the power that the compressor takes any control electronics will consume negligible power 100W at most done badly and perhaps only a few watts or less in standby. The unit is almost certainly useless but not for this reason. Pinching the name "Thermodynamics" like this should ring alarm bells as it is clearly done to confuse the public.

Some fairly clever combined solar PV and water heating panels are on the market which use waste heat to warm up water. This has the bonus that it helps keep the PV array cooler and more efficient. The kit is obviously heavier as a result and I would worry about the additional complexity but at least it has genuine benefits.

Reply to
Martin Brown

So when/how often do we have/had -26C air temps in the UK?

Reply to
harry

I think it's a air source heat pump but they boost the evaporator temperature with solar heat. Dunno how much benefit the solar bit would give.

Reply to
harry