Thermal stores and solar

Interesting: I had sort of disregarded and unvented cylinder as a) they didn't look much cheaper and b) there's all the 'officialdom' associated with it, but if you have costed the difference as that much, perhaps I should take another look.

I do have a slowly-forming plan that the 'old' DHW cylinder should be useable for some purpose here...maybe to provide a completely independent heating source from solar for the conservatory.

All in all, I'm very much in the planning stage (loads of other jobs to do first) and would be interested to know how it pans out with your unvented cylinder.

Cheers

Reply to
GMM

Give them a wide berth for the reasons you gave. I am pro this guy Rumm is an amateur. He ignores advice thinking he knows all the answers.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That is because you lack much knowlege of this topic. BTW, a cheap stainless unvented cylinder can be easily converted to a vented heat bank.

Nonsense. You never looked properly. Pure amateur. No idea.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In bullet form, what do have and what do you want to do?

How many bathoom? How many showers? UFH? Solar? Rads? Soild fuel boiler? etc etc

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

< snip drivel >

This man is a total idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Pure madness.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

For the 2nd time this century, drivel is right

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Depends on what you compare against obviously... I got a quote for a DPS Pandora system (about £1,800 IIRC) which seemed rather pricey just for hot water (I have conventional rads, an no plans for UFH, so there is no benefit for running the heating side from a store)

Officialdom is no more or less than with a boiler or any other heating system change. In they all come under building regs these days.

Gimmy a few more days I I might be able to tell you!

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed it can - problem is cheap SS cylinders seem to cost much the same as an unvented cylinder. Then you need to add a few hundred for the extra stuff.

Reply to
John Rumm

Unless all you want to do is get on a subsidy gravy train...

Reply to
John Rumm

At other people's expense.

Reply to
Tim Streater

This proves you haven't clue about thermal storage, not understand the buffering qualities and advantages in boiler operation. I advise the OP to totally ignore you. DHW only stores can be bought for a fraction of the Pandora price.

Tripe!! The unvented cylinder has to be installed by an approved man - and they charge more. It also has top be serviced once a year - by an approved man - approx £1000 in servicing over 10 years while a thermal store costs zero. Waste your money by all means, but do not tell others to do the same.

Please do not, you haven't much of a clue.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Cheap SS cylinders and cheap unvented cylinder, even with the extras still means a cheap store.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

All you had top(sic) do was to read something other than a catalogue. Sad you are and sad you will remain.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bullshit as ever from you. All a thermal store needs to do is to store heat for about six hours run time, with the thermal mass that is already in my home from the one metre thick stone walls, there's not much need for more than the day-long insolation to provide the comfort level needed.

Reply to
Steve Firth

This man is a lunatic.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Cor blimey Guv, he spaketh some sense.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No it demonstrates that you are still stuck with 70's thinking, and have not thought through the implications of the solutions your recommend.

Buffering has little value on modern boilers. What are you hoping to achieve?

When you can get seasonally adjusted (real) efficiencies up in the mid

90's percentages, and that is before going the extra mile with weather compensation and careful zoning, there is insufficient gain to be had even if you could claw back that final 4%.

Why not let him thin for himself?

Link?

By the same logic the boiler has to be installed by an "approved man". Installing a thermal store also requires aforementioned approved man or a building notice the same as any other cylinder change.

Manufacturers of modern boilers also recommend annual services - so even if you are proposing to pay for that, get the cylinder done at the same time.

Since this is DIY group however its rather a moot point.

Have you actually looked at the servicing requirements for a cylinder? They are simple enough that even you could probably manage it.

Reply to
John Rumm

and again in English?

Link?