The London buses

Luke 19:27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Ah, but it's only the OT that has that sort of thing in it... and that's not really Christianity anyway.

Oh. What's that. Right.

Reply to
Adrian

AT last someone who gets it...

And one ill adapted to scale well and do science and create technology.

Christianity created the world that allowed science and technology to flourish.

The problem is it also created a world that allowed weak minded woolly stupidity and sheeple to flourish as well.

That was bad enough, but then it gave them the vote...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , Fredxxx escribió:

Bollocks.

Their main purpose is to control people and to coerce them into conforming to a way of life that is propounded by ancient fairy stories (the Bible, Dianetics, the Koran, etc. etc. etc.)

Independent, critical thought is discouraged, if not outright suppressed.

while the wealth flows into the coffers of the leaders of that religion. Look at the wealth of the Vatican, the Church of England, and the "Church" of $cientology, for example.

or

Mike Tomlinson

You forgot 'Das Kapital' and 'the little red book'

The point however is not that religion is abused, but that it helps create a stable society.

If it creates and unstable one, it doesn't last that long.

Christianity may be utter bunk, but it formed a huge part of 1000 years of intellectual and technological development in Europe.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

By keeping the populace in a permanent state of fear.

The Spanish Inquisition? Auto-da-fés? Hanging and quartering? The oubliette? Burning at the pyre? Stoning to death? The threat of Hell?

So did Islam, arguably more so.

Ach, I've no time for religion. It has no place in a modern society based on science, not superstition. It's for the weak-willed and those who need to be told what to do by some imaginary "higher power".

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

So did Islam.

Same with all successful cultures.

Beats having some f****it of a king decide what is going to happen.

Reply to
<hgtr

Of course. The sun still revolves around the earth, then.

Is there actually anything you don't try and fit to your odd views?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The purpose of all religions is to control. Be a good boy and put up with any shit from your master and you'll get your reward in heaven.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

:)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Think that's a bit unfair. I'm not one who thinks religion is for everyone, but to those who do believe can be a very positive force. The problems occur when it is used to justify evil. Which is a human slant on that religion - not the fault of the religion itself.

Big problem is the roots of most religions are from well before man understood even the basics of life. So well past their use by date in many ways.

Think most must wonder what started the universe all those years ago. Not sone bearded man on a cloud - but a higher power than man is easy to believe in. And having your own 'higher power' is no bad thing. Stops the idea that you are invincible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed, but with a side order of explaining what science could not.

"How did we get here?" Umm, a big beardy skybloke made us all. Ping. In a week. Now, do what he tells you, and he'll pat you on the head. How do you know what he tells you? Don't you worry, I'll explain as we go.

Reply to
Adrian

That's simply not true. Many civilisation were far advanced of the Christian world. It's only in the past 2 or 3 centuries science has moved forward, and this in spite of 2,000 years of Christianity.

The peak of UK Christianity was the dark ages.

Reply to
Fredxxx

And you'd have thought even Turnip knew that the basis of pretty all things scientific is maths. Just ever so slightly before Christ.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is.

That doesn't refute any of what I said. My point was that science grew out of a particularly Judaeo-Christian view of the world.

And neither does that.

Although it is in fact patently not true.

The great days of UK Christianity were probably from the Norman invasion to the Elizabethan age.

A period known as Mediaeval, that came after the dark ages.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ROFL!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh science can explain that to.

'yebbut nobbut it was like a singularity in spacetime, like a cosmic FART and here we are..

One of the problems with the whole idea of causality in linear time, is that it leads inevitably to the necessity of a Prime Cause, or else circularity in time...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would say that the key point in technological development, was the time around Galileo, where Rome saw unrefutable evidence that he and other were right. Rome chose to embrace science than trying to undo the clock and be in denial of scientific discoveries.

At least publishing a scientific discovery didn't then land you in prison.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Actually, if you look closely, and through the eyes of a modern philosopher of science, or quantum physicist it becomes increasingly clear that Rome was if not right, not wrong either and Galileo was wrong.

In modern terms, Galileo said 'the model IS the reality' . The Church was saying 'No. its just a model'

that's not really true either.Post the Enlightenment God moved to the sort of position the intelligent designers still adopt: Science was an explication of Gods Will.

It was a lot later when people noted that in fact you dont need to have a concept of God to do science.

Then the arrogance of those who still confused models with reality, led to modern affirmative atheism like that prat Dawkins.

And of course, the great con of Climate Change.

Of course these days if it is against Climate Science, it gets you dismissed from your job and of course the RICO laws are being tested to prosecute people who disagree about 'climate science'

So its not really any different.

Dogma and stupidity, and especially confusing a model of the world, with the world itself, are everywhere just as rife as they ever have been.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you now suggesting that climate science is only going forward because the western world is largely Christian?

Or are you saying it is being held back by Muslims?

Reply to
Fredxxx

The 'Big Bang'. ;-)

(or Woman (well, not bearded in that case etc))

I would think anything is easy to believe in ... if you want to and even easier if you have been indoctrinated to?

It's like watching any of the TV 'Shopping channel' power advertising, especially for any of the 'Get slim in 5 days with this *Amazing* elastic band and free DVD' bs ... even I can see how people could get carried along / away with it all and once they are they are 'hooked'. ;-(

And it's not just things they / we just 'believe in', it's also those things that we (some) then turn into doGs, like some unnamed (and mostly unheard of) OS! ;-)

I do (and saying that was how the whole miserable experience started in the first place!). ;-)

Oh yes.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I know personally someone (and his family) who was just ordained at St Pauls and when talking to him I can't help having this thought in the back of my mind ... 'what a waste' and 'shame he couldn't get a real job' (even if he gets a free house) ... and I do get 'vocations', like charity work or nursing etc.

Now, 'everyone to their own' etc but really, today, 2016 ... but as long as they all keep themselves to themselves and it stops them doing bad things ... (oooops).

Reply to
T i m