The knack!!

Whilst working on renovating my house the other day, I suddenly
recalled where my passion for DIY came from!
When I was a kid, my dad subscribed to a DIY magazine called "the
knack".
I used to read every copy and he kept them all in a binder for years
afterwards - and I used read and re-read them often!
Anyone else here remember this magazine?
And build any of their projects? ( I seem to remember a 3 piece lounge
suite being a project!)
Mark.
Reply to
mark.hannah
You will no doubt be happy to know that The Knack - or some of it - is alive and well on Ebay!:
Reply to
Zeke
Got a full , 7 volume set of The Knack, sitting on my shelfs along beside How It Works another great part work.
Whatever happened to part works?
Adam
Reply to
Adam Aglionby
If you calculate how much they actually cost the punter ("in 75 weekly parts" plus a few over-expensive glossy binders) - perhaps the punter has finally cottoned on!
I suspect the advent of the internet as an information source may also have something to do with it.
David
Reply to
Lobster
I've got a full set, with binders, of Car Fix It. It cost me goodness knows how much in the early 80's but saw it in a car boot sale and on E Bay for a fiver!! I had told my wife that "we will be able to retire on these one day!
Cheers
John
Reply to
John
Used to be one of the Boxing Day rituals the start of adverts for part works, build your own Golden Hind in 144 weekly parts, part 1 with free model oar handle ;-) Never mind in 50 years they`ll be worth scanning:
Reply to
Adam Aglionby
In message , Lobster writes
They are still around. Marshall Cavendish, Hatchette Partworks, De Prado etc. still selling them. They don't have the market profile that they used to have though
Reply to
chris French
Thus spake Adam Aglionby ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:
I remember the magazine and I did start collecting it, but gave up. I later found large big DIY book in WH Smith that I realised was a condensed version of The Knack. I still have it.
I did also collect the entire 8 volumes of a motorcycling encyclopedia magazine series called On Two Wheels, up to the late 1970s. Kept it for many years but apart from the articles about historic marques it became very dated, and it was eventually sent to the tip. That was just before eBay took off... :-(
Reply to
A.Clews
I have 98 issues in the hard Cover binders. All in pristine condition. Collected by my father in the early 80s.
Reply to
Birdee
Blimey... Homeowners Hub comes up trumps... I'd forgotten about my Dad's collection of "The Knack". Sure Mum still has the endless blue-folder bound copies at home somewhere.
8¬o
Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk
In article ,
No - Ann Jellico wrote a play with that title. It means art or craft. In that case the "Knack" was how get a young lady into bed.
Reply to
charles
In article ,
and I should have added the the most important prop in the play was an iron bedstead.
Reply to
charles

Site Timeline Threads