The hot tap is on the left

You're probably right about the motivation, but it certainly doesn't do any harm, and I don't know anyone who changes his towel every day at home.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Then they should be honest and reflect the situation into the room rates and sell it to the customers on that basis; and then add that there may be an environmental benefit.

Unfortunately this is yet another weak example of laying eco-guilt on people for cynical reasons. I won't play this kind of game.

Reply to
Andy Hall

So you put all the towels in the bath every morning just to spite them? I certainly don't find it inconvenient to hang them back up.

In my experience the staff often change towels that I've hung back up to re-use.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Me neither, so it's only hearsay

Never been there, but I can understand the appeal.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Exactly, so the exercise is pointless.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Appeal??? I seem to remember nothing but midges, and tinned soup for lunch at a craft centre every day for a week.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You poor dear. Try visiting in May to avoid the midgies. And there's a very nice restaurant/bookshop at the craft village now.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Parents National Trust or Ramblers Association members?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nothing so sissy. Pater a FRGS so anywhere cold and windswept with interesting rock formations was a holiday destination. Particularly if it was the distant side of a peat bog and scree slope.

Me, bitter?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You could have had that in Llandudno

That might have involved a trip to Colwyn Bay

Reply to
Andy Hall

A bit too junior NCO in style, Llandudno.

But no midges! It's not a holiday if you don't go to bed every night covered in midgie bites. (Not that I did, but Mother suffered terribly :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Worldwide apart from Barratt. My previous house (new build by Barratt Scotland) had the hot water in the kitchen on the right (although the red plastic cap was on the left). So I complain. Barratt fixes it while I'm at work (they still had the keys).

I get home, and find the red plastic cap - moved to the right! Brilliant fix, no wonder plumbers are amongst the highest paid normal people in this country, I could *never* have thought of that!!!

Only when I point out that the dishwasher is plumbed into the supply to the red tap does Barratt agree that maybe hot water should go to the left tap, and cold water to the right tap, like it's done worldwide...

Reply to
oh-news

I stayed in one of a well known chain recently and when, after half an hour, the heated towel rail was still cold I checked it out and found the mains lead had been cut off and removed from the appliance. When I questioned the receptionist she told me that at one of their hotels someone had received a shock from the towel rail so they had disconnected all rails in all the hotels!!!!!!!!!!! This was for safety! Sounds a, bull s**t or b, very much overkill.

There again this was the same hotel that gave me a free pair of used ladies knickers and a nighty on the inside hook of the bathroom door, free used tissues under the bed, a not fully working TV and only 4 sheets of paper left on the loo roll. A letter of complaint to the head office did get a full refund so they weren't that bad.

I made a point of pointing all this out before I left as I didn't feel like explaining the clothing to our office staff if the hotel had found it and returned it thinking I had left it there!

Reply to
Bill

Sounds like the Holiday Inn at Glasgow Airport, a few years ago. As an extra touch, the peephole in the door was set up for peeping _into_, rather than out of the room.......

Reply to
S Viemeister

Erm, *how* many years ago, exactly???

Owain

Reply to
Owain

About 3 years ago, I think. I went down to the front desk, and very politely (and quietly) insisted that they give me a different room, and explained WHY the room was totally unacceptable - apart from the non-working remote, the peeping-Tom peephole, the cigarette burns in the curtains and bedding - the room was filthy. It helped, of course, that there were quite a few people within earshot, waiting to check in...

They tried to charge me 25 GBP over the agreed rate when I checked out, because they had 'upgraded' my room. They didn't succeed, but they tried.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Airport hotels are almost universally awful or expensive and generally both, IME

Reply to
Andy Hall

This one was both. I had an early-morning flight, and had been travelling for hours already, so I went for convenience - the airport is just across the road from the terminal.

Reply to
S Viemeister

If you're ever going from Edinburgh, the Hilton at Edinburgh airport is reasonable for an airport hotel. Plastic of course.

This one is better

Andy Hall

The Hilton at Heathrow Terminal 4 has always been perfectly acceptable.

Reply to
Huge