The daughter's new house

On 14/11/2015 21:54, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Any SIC (to borrow the phrase) can call themselves and Engineer in the uk, never mind a builder.
--
Cheers,

John.
Yes, I've made a door closer out of meccano and the pulleys needed to be cranked to get away from the wall so the pop bottlewieight did not scrape it. Grin.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Interesting. The ability to DIY is largely classless in my circle of acquaintances. I'd say that applies here too.
--
*A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

So often problems are caused by people not realising what components, tools and materials are available and correct for the job.
Unfortunately all these are quite common things brought about by lack of forethought, loss of instructions, and a problem with engaging brain cells with common sense written on them.
I have found that folk like me who never went to university exhibit far more of all three good practices etc, than most Graduates do, as they tend to imagine they know all about everything. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On 13/11/2015 09:55, Brian-Gaff wrote:

I don't think you can generalise: my experience is that going to university doesn't makes much difference. Even as a schoolboy I was aware that some of my friends were of the practical type, and others the impractical ones. But I had no idea really why that was: family background, genetic inheritance, who knows? Though I'm sure that having a father who was always willing to take things apart to mend them and do d-i-y jobs around the house must have influenced me.
At college I found that among my friends there were both practical and impractical types. The difference became apparent quite quickly, as nearly all of us rode bicycles in those days. When the bike went wrong type (a) got out their screwdriver, spanner etc and started to fix it, type (b) headed for the nearest bike shop. One of my friends even took his Sturmey Archer hub gears completely apart and explained to me how they worked, which quite impressed me at the time. A few years later when I had a similar problem I was inspired by his example to do the same, and got it re-assembled and working again. On the whole, I don't really think my college education affected my d-i-y skills. But are those with good d-i-y skills more or less likely to go to university than the others - I doubt if it makes much difference. But your mileage may vary.
--
Clive Page

On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 10:31:50 AM UTC, Clive Page wrote:

more

I grew up in a house where the only screw driver was a bent wire one that c ame with the Singer sewing machine and the only saw a tenon saw. We had a h ammer and a hatchet of course but basically that was it. I'm the other extr eme. A dyed in the wool tool junkie, so its not hereditary though may own c hildren, male and female, will tackle d.i.y. jobs.

Some people have the ability to mentally see in an exploded 3-D sort of manner just how something like that is going to work and be put together.
On 13/11/15 10:31, Clive Page wrote:

I repaired mine several times, including taking it apart to replace springs and pawls — I think I was about 11 at the time.
--
DJC
(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

I know you can't.

In fact I am the only one in here who has built his entire house from scratch on a bare block of land and have a university education.

And I saw that with everyone I knew when I was an adult too.

Some of it appears to just the the luck of the draw, particularly with one family I know where the one I got involved in having his own house built for him after I infected quite a few with house building after I built mine was notorious for being the butcher of the family whose idea of wiring in the offpeak storage electrical heater was to stuff the excess cable down the back of it out of sight unless you looked down the back. Fortunately he paid for most of the work to be done for him.

While mine was into carpentry, I was the one that did all the fixing of stuff that broke. And I could always tell what would work new construction wise whereas he always under designed it and didn’t see it last for very long.

I went one better than that. One of the neighbour's kids presented me with a box of the bits after he had pulled one to bits and couldn’t get it back together again. I'd never seen one dissembled before, knew how they worked and had to use the wear marks to work out how to went back together. Worked fine after doing that.

I know mine didn’t and know that it allowed me to walk around my parent's house when it was being constructed using an unusual post and beam type of contraction, architect designed, and decide that building houses was as easy as falling off a log, went home, bought some land and designed and built my own, very unusual passive solar design, with all the basics being researched down the library.
And had the local council tell the local builders to look at how I had done the concrete slab for the entire house, before the concrete was poured, because that is how the reinforcing should be done.
I just gave the manufacturer of the mesh the house plan and got a detailed design of the slab from them for free. I used the bar chairs that hold the mesh up so it end up part way thru the concrete when its poured as the design said to do. The builders use the other approach of pulling the mesh up with a T handled steel rod with a hook on the end at the time the concrete is poured. That relys on the individual doing that doing that right and the building inspector can't see where its going to end up before its poured.

Dunno. I expect that many of those with good skills like that may choose to become apprentices instead of going to uni. Corse plenty that do are the dregs of the labour market that are forced by the govt to become apprentices or they wont get any dole etc too.
And plenty like Pete the parrot keeper who did go to uni and have the silliest ideas about DIY too.

No way, everything is completely black and white.

As if anyone here is going to believe that!

Doesn’t matter a damn what fools do or do not believe.
On 14/11/2015 09:13, Rod Speed wrote:

Judging by many of your posts just very hard to believe.
On Saturday, 14 November 2015 12:02:22 UTC, Fredxxx wrote:

Imagine what a house is like if he built it!

If it's like his posts, will be a copy of a neighbour's one with a tiny bit added. Badly.
--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sex?.?.just don't point!

wrote

There you go, face down in the mud, as always.
No house is anything like it. The neighbours houses were all built later than mine and the next door neighbour actually bought the block next to mine because our rented flats were next to each other in the block of flats we were living in at the time. They were the first of those I knew who I managed to infect wit the house building bug. Most of them just used a commercial builder, including that one.
On Saturday, 14 November 2015 15:28:04 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

why am I not surprised!
NT

Whoosh
--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.
No wonder you need a union to wipe your arse for you.

There you go, face down in the mud, as always.