that aldi router

I'm going to need a router in a few week time, and I'm looking at this one[1]. Googling Past discussions in here have shown comments that 6/8mm routers are less than useful and people should be looking for 1/4" / 1/2" sizes.

Is that still the case, Or doesn't it really matter now?

Steve

[1]
Steve

1/2" when it comes to beefy routing. If an 1/2" was aquired then you have the benefit of both worlds.
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

will get you this although the ebay one is better.
MrRumm

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Hell of a deal though for an entry level router inc 12 bits.

£20?
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Then wait till the Netto one, which will surface shortly at...12.99GBP lol

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

6mm has no advantages over 1/4" that I can think of, it will just make it a pain getting cutters in future. With 8mm there are sometimes advantages in that you can use bigger cutters than your would on 6mm. Having said that the clearance hole on the router and the power available soon kick in to limit the advantage much. There is also a smaller selection of cutters to choose from with most suppliers.

More detail here:

John Rumm

Anyone could 've guessed that. Though uk.d-i-y is a small pond it's bound to have some influence on the market. Consequently there are resident worthies such as JR and AH to treat the consumer with the same level of respect as the vested interests they champion.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

So what vested interest would that be Mike?

(The OP was asking about pros and cons of 6/8mm Vs the more common imperial shank sizes, which I believe is what my answer was directed at)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks all, I think I will grab it as I'm unlikely to be using it much so that price wins.

If it turns out to be trash, then it goes on ebay ;)

Steve

Reply to
Steve