Terraced Houses

It's not uncommon around here (Yorkshire) for the front half of the house to have a suspended floor (sometimes with a cellar) and the back half of the house to be a concrete floor. And then the step down to the kitchen at the rear.

Reply to
ARW

In message <Ve2jE.117519$ snipped-for-privacy@fx05.am, ARW snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

This house, Victorian detached c1880, Aberdeenshire, has 4 steps up to the front door outside, then the public (reception) rooms on that level. Three steps down to a corridor which runs to the kitchen at the rear (wooden floor, with granite where the range was). One step down to the scullery behind the kitchen. Solid floor.

Stairs from the front lead up, ten steps to a half landing, turn 180 degrees, then a further ten steps up to the first floor bedrooms. However, from the half landing a short corridor leads to bathroom, airing cupboard and two rear bedrooms over the kitchen and scullery, with a further (steep) staircase from the back room down to the scullery. Presumably the maid's quarters.

Reply to
Graeme

In my Victorian house, the kitchen range was in the kitchen, with a suspended wood floor. At the end of the rear extension there was a scullery, with a concrete floor. That room not big enough for a range.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, I should have said "at a lower level than the main house 1st floor". I don't know what was underneath the servant rooms - probably some kind of lower ground floor rooms.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In my house, judging by the remains of bell circuits, the servant's room was the attic.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

They work in the basement and sleep in the attic. The Family might want something in the middle of the night.

Reply to
Max Demian

No basement here. Did wonder how having live in 'help' would work on this sort of house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

They would work in the kitchen and scullery (if there is one). They might just help the lady of the house cook and also serve the meals to the family, but eat in the kitchen.

Reply to
Max Demian

?Going up to a lower level? Do you mean "out the back" in less lofty accomodation?

Reply to
Jim K..

and easier to mop out/make a mess in.

Reply to