Tennis court construction - any good information on web?

We're tentatively thinking about building (is that the right word?) a tennis court. The previous owners of our house have already levelled a piece of ground and laid a course of bricks round the levelled area. There are also holes for the corner posts for the fencing.

The fencing etc. seems to me fairly striaghtforward but I haven't really got a clue about what's needed for foundations and court surface. Our land is *very* sandy so effectively we have a sand base already made.

Are there any web sites around which could be helpful in deciding whether this is a sensible DIY thing to do, what's involved and any companies which might be helpful in doing some parts of the work.

We're in Suffolk if it's relevant.

Reply to
tinnews

levelled a

Rather depends I would have thought on what surface you are aiming for. If a grass court, then you need a well drained plot with a very tough grass seed. If tarmac, then I don't see how it differs from any other tarmaced surface (see paving expert .com) If clay then I haven't a clue !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I was doing a search for costs recently and found some useful info on one companies website that went on about how important the base was and that it's very complicated. Of course they might just be trying to sell their services.

Reply to
Mogga

Not really D.I.Y. but no doubt this could be adapted

a tarmac surface.

Reply to
soup

Not grass, our lawn is hard enough to keep grass growing in! :-)

Thanks for reminding me about pavingexpert.com, the obvious place to start looking.

Reply to
tinnews

Thanks, that is quite useful.

Reply to
tinnews

If it is a hard court then you may need planning permission. Best to check rather than have to rip it up later. Likewise speak to building control.

Peter Crosland

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk

Reply to
Peter Crosland