Temporarily Sticking Ant Powder Talcum to the wall

Not forever, but any good suggestions for something temporary tacky, I can add and that can be wiped off once they have been annihilated?

It will be a vertical surface. I'm only thinking of honey, but I don't want to attract and feed them that!

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

how about masking tape sticky side out attached by strips of same (subject of course to the wall covering surviving said tape)

Reply to
Robin

I am intrigued, and have to ask. Why? Is the vertical surface inside, or outside?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Adrian Caspersz formulated on Sunday :

We had problems with ants in the summer, but its too cold for them now.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Powder won't kill the colony. That needs a slow acting poison to be taken back to the queen.

Reply to
Pamela

Pamela explained on 17/10/2021 :

Whether it kills the colony or not, when have had need to use the typical powder it has always caused the ants to entirely disappear. They do claim that they take the powder back to the colony and it kills the entire nest.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Be very careful if you have any pets that might lick the wall, if you use something edible to do it.

What about an industrial sized lump of copydex? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

They can still be active if indoors and have access to a food source. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

We were inundated with them in the kitchen and also by the front door, this year and not quite so bad a couple of years before.

The first year, they disappeared quickly once the Nippon was laid, however this year is took a good week and a half to get rid of them. The Nippon just didn't seem to be as effective. I ended up with a home made concoction, the recipe for which I found on the internet. Even that was slow to work, but I won in the end.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I found that the best thing was the gel in a tube - probably something sweet and yet poisonous which attracts the ants. I painted that onto a sheet of paper - being a big kid, I wrote my name! - and it attracted the ants which clustered around the gel that I'd drawn on the paper.

I once had a very large infestation at my old house - they were crawling all over the hall carpet - and the sheets of paper with the gel drawn on them were black with ants by the morning. A couple of days' treatment like that, and the problem was cured.

Reply to
NY

Borax is a slow action ant poison and if mixed with sugar syrup the workers take it back for others including the queens. Can't see that happening with powder, which they hate.

Reply to
Pamela

That is what I ended up using, this year - thanks for reminding.

It was borax, mixed with icing sugar, mixed into a syrup, then cotton wool balls soaked in it and left where I saw them congregate. It took a few days, but they were gone.

I was curious about some black bits on the kitchen window ledge inside. I kept clearing it and it kept returning. I thought at first it might be plaster or something similar dropping from above, it was such a puzzle - that must have been due to ants, though we never saw them there, ever, but it stopped appearing when they stopped appearing.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

We used to have a problem and used the white powder stuff designed for ants etc. just squirt a generous bead along the bottom of the wall. (In our case it was an outside wall on the drive.) We topped it up every few days. The ants supposedly carry the stuff to their nest and it kills them.

Reply to
Brian