Telephone Extension Kit Recommendation

Can anybody recommend a decent telephone Extension Kit
1) With an extension cable suitable for outdoor use (it's not practical to run the cables internally)
2) Which does not have one of those adapters that you plug into the face of your Master socket. I'd prefer to have the extension concealed rather than a piggy back plug socket that goes straight back outside.
Should I get a kit which has it's own little crimping tools like Screwfix 19843 - http://tinyurl.com/5srrm (I'm not intending to do this job again and would like to save money)
Lastly am I correct in assuming that the piggy back adapter can be stripped off, and the connection made inside the Master socket?
Thanks in advance.
"Charlie" wrote | Can anybody recommend a decent telephone Extension Kit | 1) With an extension cable suitable for outdoor use (it's not practical | to run the cables internally)
None of the extension kits are suitable for use externally and most have very poor quality cable.
try www.comtec-comms.com for exterior grade cable.
| 2) Which does not have one of those adapters that you plug into the | face of your Master socket. I'd prefer to have the extension concealed | rather than a piggy back plug socket that goes straight back outside. | Lastly am I correct in assuming that the piggy back adapter can be | stripped off, and the connection made inside the Master socket?
You can only connect your extension to the customer side terminals on the removable front plate of a Linebox. If you have a slightly older installation with a master socket (NOT a Linebox) then you MUST use a plug-in connector. User installed extension wiring must be disconnectable from the phone line to allow for testing and fault finding. The Linebox incorporates that function.
Owain

Not really, since it's easier to just by the individual bits.

Assuming you can shield it from direct sun and mechanical damage, ordinary telephone cable will have a pretty long life outdoors.

And quite right too.

Trouble is those plastic tools are at best marginal compared to the real thing. I've found they sometimes don't push the cable in fully.

It would depend on the cable. If it's proper single strand stuff of the correct diameter, yes. But some is stranded and won't make a decent connection.
--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

strung together this:

Go to your local electrical wholesalers and get 100m of 2 pair CW1308 and a surface secondary BT socket, maybe some clips and away you go. You could buy a decent punchdown tool as well without spending more than 20 on the lot.
--

SJW

Err, should'nt we be telling him about the lightening strikes.....?
Dave
again
strung together this:

Ah, yes. Make sure you wrap it all back up in a lightening storm!
--

SJW
On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:39:53 +0000, Stefek Zaba wrote:

Even CW1308 appears to last quite well outside. Us kids twisted the parents arm into getting a phone when we left home 25+ years ago. BT installed it with CW1308 around the front of the south facing bay window. It's still there, it still works and AFAIK has never been replaced.
Of course they made things better in the past... B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

What do you really need?
If it's a telephone extension - use cordless phones If it's a data extension - you need to think of other ways of moving the data. Wireless, CAT5a (external south side needs to be shielded from the sun)
--
Zaax
http://www.ukgatsos.com
zaax wrote:

the
the
Zaax,
It's my broadband connection so yes it's data that I'm interested. Is CAT5a just a higher grade cable (specifically for only) which is connected up the same way?
Charlie
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:26:36 -0800, Charlie wrote:

Cat5e is Cat5 but tested to a higher level. It's wired in exactly the same way as Cat5 and is good for phones, 100Mbit/s and 1gigabit/sec (and everything in between) if installed within specifications.
Tim