Technical competence of the "Repair Shop"?

But those are just used to imitate old analogue kit anyway, and that can be just as easily done with newer digital kit, or your phone ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

Heh, my mate built a Sinclair Project 80 system and some fairly meaty speakers to go with it, we thought it was totally cool. It kinda was.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Bourdon do gas-filled thermometers that read down to -200°C

An alternative might be a low-temperature silicone oil.

Well, at least it worked again, which is really all the owner wanted, and if a different transistor did the job, so what? His soldering technique does worry me at times - almost as bad as mine! But if it works...which is all that most of the owners want who bring stuff in for repair.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Early germanium transistors were very very bad. You might select for gain and frequency and stamp them RF/IF. Later on they got a whole lot better and most 'audio' would work ait

455KHZ IF frequencies.

At leasts he didn't make the mistake that I made - get in some identically numbered and case sized power transistios from China that blew within two minutes of switch on and took a loudspeaker with them. I accpepted defeat and got the modern ones in a slightly different case style from Farnell. After once again fixing the other 15 components that got taken out by the bad power transistors at the same time and importing a new voice coil for the loudspeaker, the amp is going fine.

Is it original? Who cares. It now works as it is intended to.

Prezactly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

James May is pretty good at a lot of things, but I saw him reassemble an electric guitar, and the two or three wires that needed to be soldered were not done well. He was using a very cheap-looking soldering iron as well, I thought they ought to be able to run to something temperature-controlled for a TV series.

Reply to
Joe

I built a Project 60 (still working) but I don't recall anything later. The preamp had the usual four stereo controls, but they were four thin strips of metal running through pairs of vertical-mount presets. It worked, though. My first speakers were a pair of EMI 13x8s plus tweeters, the 15W mid-level ones.

Reply to
Joe

I watched the first couple of episodes and came to the same conclusion. I don't bother any more.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

In message <u19mg2$13tc2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 20:51:30 on Thu, 13 Apr

2023, Vir Campestris snipped-for-privacy@>> It's all crap reality TV. Patronisingly focused on the people and

There's been a fairly similar show in the USA, a chap - and quite a big team - doing (mainly engineering) restorations from a workshop in Las Vegas.

One big difference is the final scene is always the proprietor saying to the dewy-eyed customer "I'm glad you like it, now let's go to my office and I'll give you the invoice".

They do the odd-crossover show with the Pawn Stars people.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Added to which is the out of focus filming, 'cos it's artistic' (I'd make it illegal) & the camera man not knowing what is going to happen next so concentrates on the face of whoever is speaking rather than the action.

Reply to
wasbit