Tavertine tiles Bathroom installation question

I need to some advise please.
I about tile my bathroom floor and walls (about 20 sqm all in all) with honed & filled travertine tiles. I have two of my walls that are plasterboard internal stud partitions. The flooring will be 18mm WBP ply as I'm replacing the current uneven 18 mm chipwood T&G floor.
One of my main concerns is to do with the palsterboard walls, will these walls be able to take on the weight of the travertine tiles, each tile is 12mm thick and 40cm by 40cm.? Also, I have stripped all the walls from paint so they are back to plaster and I will use pva bond to seal them. Also, I will be using a good quality tile adhesive (Bal).
I am grateful for any advise.
Regards
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Provided you tile up from the bottom, and use spacers, the weight is all compression loads anyway, so tile away and don't worry.
Hi 'The Natural Philosopher' I was planning to start tiling (using a fixed batton/s) from one row up from the bottom and all the way to the top and then I would do the bottom row last, would you think that this approach is still okay?
Thanks again.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Purrfect.
Unless I have a straight level line to star from, thats how I always do it anyway.

No problem if the plasterboard is in good condition.

If using BAL, use White Star.
You will need to seal the tiles. I would use Lithofin MN StainStop, possibly with one layer of Lithofin MN Colour Enhancer.
Christian.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

FWIW, I did something similar several years ago. I was told by the local "expert" that it was impossible to put these tiles on a wall and they were designed for floors only.
I don't like plasterboard as a backing for tiles, so I used 18mm WBP for the walls, and sealed the surface with an epoxy coating. The tiles were applied using a swimming pool tile adhesive, but I can't recall the name of the manufacturer. The tiles were also fitted very close together, because a large line of grout looks bloody awful with marble.
Thanks Steve,
For the walls, if I go for your approach, what would be the minimum thickness of the WBP I can get away with as 18mm seems a bit too much. How would I fix the WBP on the plasterboard? I would prefer not to fix any battons to the wall in order to fix the WBP as the bathroom is very small.
Regards
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ah sorry, I'm not advocating you do what I did. I was working on a studwork wall and building a shower enclosure. So I removed plasterboard completely and made good afterwards.
On 20 Apr 2006 13:53:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The other day we had "batons" and now it is "battons" ...lol...it is battens.
Stuart

Unless you're marching with 'em, in which case it's back to batons again.
--
Skipweasel
Many thanks for all your advice, it really has been very helpful