Taps: changing the tops over.

I've got a pair of single lever bath taps from Screwfix (46027) to fit.

The tops of these taps are marked 'Hot' and 'Cold' with the cold seemingly expected to be fitted to the right of the hot as the levers would then move away from each other when the taps were opened.

Unfortunately all of the other taps in the house are arranged with the cold to the left of the hot. Is it possible to remove the tops from these taps and switch them over? Or is hot normally on the left and the house has been fitted out against convention?

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember F saying something like:

Usually, yes.

Sounds like it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The other convention is to put the hot bath tap furthest away from the panel to make it harder for little people to scald themselves.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The message from F contains these words:

In my experience with seperate taps hot and cold are fitted however seems most convenient at the time, though are often consistent between a bath and the adjacent sink.

On mixer taps, that's different 'cos their either the two-tap sort and the rules say the hot has to go down the middle, or they're single lever and it'll all work arse about face if you get 'em transposed.

Reply to
Guy King

Just take the red and blue nadgers out of the tops and swap them over.

Reply to
Phil L

There not that type Phillip. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You mean they can't have replacement washers fitted when they eventually disintegrate? - if they can (and I suspect this is the case) then the tops can be swapped over, even if this means removing the entire head.

Failing that, he can get flexible connectors for underneath the bath.

Reply to
Phil L

The 'hot' and 'cold' are etched into the top.

Ceramic discs...

I have, but that still leaves the levers moving towards each other rather than apart.

The convention seems to be 'Hot & Cold' water .... Hot=Left, Cold=Right. Folk don't refer to 'my house having cold and hot running water' ;) it is just a convention .

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Apparently, according to an old plumber, this was the tradition in a bathroom; in a kitchen it was the other way round.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

IF ! These are the same as ones I have fitted in the past, (but not supplied by screwfix) The tops simply pull off, don't twist but pull upwards hard. . If it turns out the cunning Chinese have found yet another way of attaching the tops, screwfix are very good at replacing defective (Opps I broke it) parts.

-
Reply to
Mark

Must be different, or they require a tug harder than I'm willing to inflict at the moment!

Probably difficult to remove the first time .If it's same as the ones I have it will be a splined shaft that fits in to the top

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Emailed Screwfix and they said 'I am not aware of this being a possibility with these taps. I am not aware that any of the taps we supply in this style have this facility'.

Looks like I either pull harder or switch all the other taps around.

As others have said, the tops MUST come off or the taps could not be manufactured. I presume the taps are not fitted yet. If not have you tried pulling the cover off in a few different places in the on/off sweep? They may be keyed so as to only come off in one place.

As far as the cold left, hot right debate. I was told byan old plumber (now deceased) that cold on the right was correct. The reason being is that most people are right handed and would find it easier to reach for the right hand tap and blind people would expect the right tap to be cold. This may be total tosh but seems logical to me!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

My view too.

I've tried at the two extremes. I'll give them a tug across the range.

That's how the majority in the house are fitted. Looks like I'll be swapping a couple of flexibles over.

Normally there is a removable cap that is prised off and a screw inside. Once that is out if the tops are still stuck you need a long bolt to go in there and whack it with a hammer while holding the tap head upwards with a couple of bits of wood. Hot water on the tap head also helps.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nearly always it seems to be (in the interests of fuel economy rather than minimising installation costs) to have the hot tap on the side the hot water arrives, to reduce the dead leg.

Reply to
<me9

Actually in nearly every case I hate this.

I take the kettle in my RIGHT hand and use my LEFT to fill it.

When filling a basin its the HOT tap I want to reach for instantly to stop me scalding myself.

I guess standardistaion is a great thing, but I wish it had been the other way round.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the one I had to take apart had a wire circlip at the top of the splined shaft were the black line is in this photo

fitted into a corresponding grove in the handle it was a very tight fit, you would not get it apart by simply holding the tap in your hand. One end needs to be held in a vice or attached to the bath.

Your one of course could be completely different and end up FUBAR if you try this

-
Reply to
Mark