Tap washer woes

One of our bathroom taps destroys its washers. The other three are fine, but this one hot tap has to be closed so tightly that after just a few weeks the washer (standard flat half inch) breaks, leaving a small disc and a separate outer ring. It must be something to do with the seating in the base of the tap because I've swapped the top with its neighbouring cold tap, and that made no difference.

Would using a reseating tool on it help?

Reply to
Ramsman

I was going to suggest using a reseating tool until I read your final sentence.

Reply to
GB

If it needs to be turned off verly tighly, the seat is chipped. If the chip isnt too deep you can mill it flat with a reseating tool, or clean the break and epoxy fill it, then mill it flat with the tool. The latter is easier. Epoxy doesn't like heat and isn't potable.

NT

Reply to
NT

Hmm, depends on the epoxy, surely? I think the JB Weld I have up in the workshop is rated to something like 600F.

As for potable, given the likely surface area of a repair is it significant?

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I learnt the hard way with high temp epoxies that they can be utterly useless well below their rated temp.

No, I'm quite sure its not. Its just not compliant.

NT

Reply to
NT

JB weld is not an epoxy: Its a polyester.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmm... the packaging says "steel reinforced epoxy", "our strongest epoxy", "two-part epoxy system" and "contains epoxy resins". I'm surprised they can get away with all that if it's not true.

It reminds me of araldite, but I don't think you can get that over here.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson