tap to ceramic sink sealing

I have had a problem with an upstairs bathroom. It seems a basin tap has been dripping. The drip has run not into the sink but down the stem to the base of the tap and a broken back nut has allowed the drip to flow down the pipework into the space under the floorboards and oh the damage an unnoticed drip can do if left to run for a while!

So I may replace the taps since I have to remove one anyway to replace the backnut. But if I do or don't what is the best way to seal a metal tap against a porcelain sink so it doesn't get dislodged when bashed and is a long term water seal. And plastic back nuts - do they always break?

TW

Reply to
TimW

The nut isn?t the seal. You need a washer, usually some soft rubber LIKE * material. If you can?t buy one, try making one from silicone rubber. Place above the sink. A bit of sealant isn?t a bad idea. The nut needs to be firm but not over done.

  • rubber perishes.
Reply to
Brian

Buy brass nuts. The plastic nuts, with a little rounding of the corners, are a good fit in the tap hole. I file out the threads then use the plastic nut upside down as a to centre the tap and the flange as a washer. Just leaves the seal on top to do.

Reply to
PeterC

+1 for brass nut.

Getting the tap central in the hole is often difficult and even with a rubber or plastic sealing washer under the tap body water can still leak to the connecting pipe if the tap is offset in a larger hole.

alan_m

I didn't know about those, but as new taps come with free centralising 'washers' I've never needed them.

Reply to
PeterC