Tap flexible hoses

Are basin taps the same size as the connectors to toilet cisterns? What I would like to do is connect the toilet cistern with a flexible connector, can it be done? TIA

Reply to
Broadback

Yes and yes. Respectively.

Reply to
Huge

A HUGE thanks to you for the prompt and succinct reply.

Reply to
Broadback

Most welcome.

(I connected the loo in my latest bathroom project with a flexi connector. I wish I'd done it that way years ago!)

Reply to
Huge

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:14:41 +0000, Broadback strung together this:

Depends what size they are.

1/2" basin tap connector is the same size as a 1/2" toilet cistern connector. If one or the other is a different size then they are not. I've just had a few Armitage cisterns that had some funny size European thread, not 1/2".
Reply to
Lurch

Same here, all the latest lavs, basins etc have flexible hose connectors. Much nicer than any job I did in the past with the possible exception of the main bathroom which was plumbed in stainless throughout.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes there are now some new sanitary thingermejiggs from abroad which us

a fine 3/8th thread which you stand no chance of finding. They d usually come with an adapter to 1/2" which should have been fitted by the installer So far I have not been able to find any tap connectors with this foreig fine thread. I dread to think how I'm going to cope with emergency cal outs when these foreign thingies go wrong 'cause the mechanics behin them defies logic, and to my knowledge no parts are available. s'pos we'll just have to sell you a whole new one when that day arrives. O maybe they'll work perfectly forever? Yer right!

Any how you'll most likely find it takes a 1/2" tap connector.

Watch those flexies. The ones with rubber washers are OK but the crapp bit of cardboard some use for a fibre washer wants rooting out with fine screwdriver and a proper replacement putting in, trust me, if yo don't want to be decorating the room below in a fortnight

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker

B&Q were selling some where the hole in the cistern was too small to take a standard 1/2" one, and they don't sell ball-valves which do fit the hole. I friend took one back when he discovered this, having tried using a different type of valve from the one supplied.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I can't be bothered to look but 3/8" to 1/2" will be available at a proper merchant or from the BES catalogue.

The small diaphragms and washer to service the 'foreign' WCs are available also.

If I was completely stuck for a replacement then I would try to brooch out the inlet hole in the cistern ceramic with a 22mm grit edged hole saw. The fit a fluid master or torbeck valve.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I worked in maintenance. European sizes are always 1/2" basin & toilet cistern & 3/4" bath. Both BSP. This is normal. Experienced once an unusual diameter & that was on a Chinese cistern.

Reply to
Rick.