Talking of mixer taps...

Grow your own! Seeds are a lot cheaper than what's sold in shops. Even I can manage that.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Unfortunately my garden (which was a drying green) is still the subject of a Dangerous Building Notice and entry is forbidden by the Council, on pain of Death, following a collapse in the January storms. And I have an intense dislike of potplants inside, not to mention no space for them.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Is a drying green a Scottish thing? - I haven't heard of it before Presumably it was a communal area for drying laundry, or another purpose?

Reply to
Andy Hall

What's a drying green?

I'd love to know more about this!

I'm not keen either.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Exactly that, and still is. Except in my case, where eight months of inattention have converted it to an unkempt rockery.

See

kB)
kB)

(Scale - the black poles holding up the washing lines are about 6' tall)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That looks VERY exciting and a great DIY project - but you still haven't said what a 'drying green' is.

I wanna KNOW!

NOW NOW NOW

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Calm down Mary, it's only a newsgroup.

Let's look again at this conversation.

The Hon Usenaut Mr Hall: Is a drying green a Scottish thing? - I haven't heard of it before. Presumably it was a communal area for drying laundry.

Me: Exactly that, and still is.

"Exactly that" is agreeing with Mr Hall's presumption. "and still is" shows that the meaning hasn't changed and that such a thing is still in common use.

Then we had some photos of a grassy area behind a tenement building, with washing lines erected thereupon, illustrating a drying green.

I don't think my stepladder's big enough to reach the high bits.

But it's one hell of an excuse to buy an SDS drill.

Owain

Reply to
Owain