Taking the top off a 55 gallon drum

And wear both eye and ear protectors and do it well away from people! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes, I scrapped my first car using something very similar, a monodex version, to render the panels down to a size I could dispose of. A 1958 A35 less than 50 k miles and major stuff worn out.

Reply to
AJH

Buy a angle grinder. Only a few quid at Aldi. Who knows, you might find another use for it in the future.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Although a hot dipped gal one is probably thicker to start with.

Reply to
F Murtz

A jig saw with metal blade works well.

Cut about an inch below the lip and bell the bit left on the lid out a bit. You then have a lid to stop rain getting in which will greatly increase its life.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

In message snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, Muddymike snipped-for-privacy@mattishall.org.uk> writes

Had to read that a couple of times, but yes, that does make a great deal of sense. The only thing that worries me slightly is that the top edge of the drum will then be like a giant corned beef tin, so much care required.

Reply to
Graeme

In message snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, Jimk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I imagined cutting into the lid against the existing rim, such that the lid would come out leaving the rim in place.

Reply to
Graeme

In message snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, Jimk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Indeed. Perhaps make the cut 1/4 inch or so in from the rim, then go around the edge with tinsnips, cutting from the edge to the rim, then bashing the 'petals' downwards with a heavy hammer. All a bit long and drawn out, but better than lacerated fingers.

Thanks for all the comments, which have made me think beyond the obvious.

Reply to
Graeme

In message snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, Jimk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Yes, I meant use the jigsaw to cut the lid, 1/4 inch in from the lid first. Then cut petals from the saw cut to the rim, then bash the petals downwards. Very wet here today, otherwise I'd be out there having a go.

Reply to
Graeme

I think you (and others) may be over-thinking it. A jigsaw cut doesn't leave particularly sharp edges, you are more likely to get that with tinsnips. Either run around it with a coarse file, or with coarse sandpaper or emery paper on a block, but quickest of all is just to round the edge using a light touch with an angle grinder, either with an abrasive disk or with a sanding disk.

Reply to
newshound

Petals are OK, you may have catchy bits around the joins. If hammering, hold a big lump of wood (e.g. a woodburner log) on the outside like a panel beaters' dolly. Or rest the edge on a wood chopping block if you have one, and rotate so that you are always using the block as an anvil.

Or, bend them over with a mole wrench and finally "pinch" the top edge.

Reply to
newshound

Which is why I gave alternatives. But based on the advice here he might decide to get one.

Reply to
newshound

The ones on sale these days all seem to be made of rather thin metal and galvanising seems to be very poor these days too.

Reply to
Andrew

In message snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, newshound snipped-for-privacy@stevejqr.plus.com> writes

<Angle grinders>

He may indeed. Thoughts are turning in that general direction, although without a clue as to how to actually use the thing, or the types of blade to purchase, plans are on hold.

Reply to
Graeme

Then your left with a flat steel disk that cant be used as a lid.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I don't think a jigsaw will allow you to cut that close to the rim, mine certainly doesn't. Cutting as close to the rim down the side is the best method.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

You're right of course, but the plan is to chuck it in the greenhouse, at least over winter, which will at least keep it dry. The good news is that the drum came from a local confectionery business, and they have a regular supply of drums, and are always happy to give away the empties. I could grab a second drum to replace the first, or to just cut the top off to use as a lid, as you suggested.

Reply to
Graeme

Er... your jigsaw will put the same half-dozen to dozen teeth of the blade against the metal, depending on the stroke of the saw. These will dull eventually.

You could then fit a new blade (assuming a surfeit of metal blades).

However: attaching a scrap of wood or Something(tm) against the sole plate of the jigsaw (using screws, bolts, duct tape, cable ties, ... don't freehand it, that doesn't work!) will bring a fresh batch of teeth into play, as it lifts the sole plate away from the metal. You are then using a fresh section of the worn blade, a bit further out.

The blade is a bit more likely to break used like this -- but the alternative is to throw it out... nothing to lose!

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

In message snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, Jimk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Mike's idea up there ^ was to cut off the top an inch or two below the rim, then 'bell out' the inch or two of drum still attached to the lid, so the lid could sit on top of the drum as weather (rain) protection when not in use. Brilliant, I thought.

Reply to
Graeme

I have a big garden and use two of these. They are rarely emptied of ash immediately after a fire. Overnight rain then makes the ash very difficult to clean out, wet ash promotes the inevitable rust.

A lid is also useful to put the fire out if wind turns and takes the smoke in an unwanted direction.

I also use mine together with a modified gas cylinder to make charcoal.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike