Table saw recommendations

I've been lucky for longer than I care to remember. If you push the workpiece and allow the offcut to go where it will, kickback shouldn't be an issue. If the workpiece is narrower than an inch and a half, use a push stick, but nothing matches the forefinger and thumb (in that order :-))for downward and forward pressure. Just don't wear a tie. On occasions where you're ripping really small strips off a large piece, you can use kickback to your advantage by pushing the offcut, standing slightly to one side and positioning a bin to collect them. The flight path is very predictable :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Record do one with an induction motor, but AFAIK all the other cheapies are universals.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In the small portable table saws with plastic case, they do all seem to be universal motors, even at the top of the price range.

Some site saws (with steel plate tops) have induction motors in around the £300 range.

Once one goes to those with cast iron tops, induction motors seem to be the norm. You are right that they are quieter off load that universal motors.

General purpose blades are rated as being suitable for the saws on which they are used and as far as I know, the portable machines are not capable of speeds where this would be a problem.

I certainly agree that ear defenders are an essential piece of equipment when using a table saw, and for a portable saw, a dust mask as well, especially if cutting hardwoods; because it's pretty difficult to fit effective dust extraction to them.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Another reason that I bought my (now discontinued) Charnwood was the induction motor.

Screwfix used to sell the same machine under the Ferm brand but that has also vanished.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Take a look at the JCB table saw ... many sheds sell these at a deal and they are very good value for money.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Not much to do with the excavator firm though, just a brand owned by Alba,

Tony Bryer