T400 Stihl saw advice

Just bought a Stihl T400 stone cutter--could not resist the price-£130--it was fitted with a carborundum disc I tried it then fitted a diamond

12inch--what a difference- a hot knife thro butter--on 6 inch concrete anyway. Couple of queries--its more temperamental to start than my Huskqvarna chain saw even when fitted with new air filters and spark plug it still needs a lot of choke until it starts. Compression seems to be fine and its got plenty of power. Is this normal. Im using the water fitting on it and there is no dust--I have a few lintels to put in internal brick walls and internal walls to remove does the water system cause a big mess indoors if I remove carpets etc and protect with polythene. What a tool I suppose you think twice and cut once with it. Can I get a diamond wheel for cutting wheel clamps on my occasional trips to London.
Reply to
tom patton

price-£130--it

This is common to all Stihl 2 strokes that I have owned over the last 30 years. Full choke and part throttle until it fires and probably stops. Choke off, restart and away she goes. HTH Nick.

Reply to
Nic O'Demus

That's because Stihls are crap - they're always pigs to start, compared to Huskies.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Actually I find em eaisre than most. Mine has four settings on te 'choke'

full, partial normal and cut off.

On to full, pull till it kicks, on to partial and it fires every time, then keep the revs up a few seconds using the throttle which flips it into 'run' mode.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine is flawless. But its newish.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My Stihl chainsaw is highly predictable - starts exactly as described by Nick. Every time. I have a Stihl backpack blower and that is just the same too.

Reply to
Harry Ziman

Husqvarna, Jonsered & McCulloch are all part of the Elecrolux Group and all use the same engines, which are far easier to start and run better than Stihl engines. My Stihl hedge trimmer is a pig to start and periodically cuts out, it's been back to the dealer several times but still cuts out after about 10 minutes use. My McCulloch chain saw starts after 2 or 3 pulls when cold with the choke full on and first pull without choke when warm, as does my McCulloch strimmer.

Reply to
Kaiser

Last time I looked, McCulloch used their own ignition modules. These are very good, easily available as spares, and easily fitted to engines of any age. I've used them on everything from an old Villiers on an Allen scythe onwards.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Many thanks for the advice. Just a warning about buying older--pre decompressor Husqvarna machines--the ignition module is a weakness.A good indicator its on its way out is that it will start and run no problem but when hot its hard to start. Yes Huskies are Rolls Royce tools-but-they have a similar price.

Reply to
tom patton

That's interesting, do you perhaps have a online link. Ive got a Ransom mower with duff HT this ones got a BSA engine.

-- Mark§ This is an automatic signature of unknown origin.

Reply to
Mark

This was back in the pre-Net days (at least for chainsaw vendors). I went to the shop that fixed McCullochs and fooled with their parts catalogue. Some machining was required to get things to fit.

Reply to
Andy Dingley