T1.25AL 250V slow blow glass fuse

Just taken the cover off an old dead stereo and this fuse is blown.

(1) Is this common when the rest of the stereo is O.K. - gone with age etc.? (2) Am I probably wasting my time sourcing another fuse? (3) I can find them dirt cheap on eBay - do real shops still tend to stock them?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

In message , David WE Roberts writes

You will probably be as well off with Ebay as anywhere else. RS CPC etc sell them, but are expensive to deal with just for a fuse, you maybe lucky to find a local TV repair shop (HA!!) that would sell you one.

If the rest of the stereo is OK why did the fuse blow? Had it BLOWN or just parted in the middle with age? If the later then you maybe OK, if the former, buy more than 1 replacement fuse. :-)

Reply to
Bill

Fuses less than 3A tend to die unprompted. Replace and see what happens - at your own risk

NT

Reply to
NT

Blown as in black inside. If another fuse blows then I think that is enough to consign the stereo to the recycling bin. I don't have the time or the skill for detailed fault finding and board repair. There is a small group of components on one of the boards where the surrounding area looks suspiciously brown. This is not an expensive stereo, and it is many years old, and I have onther identical one (bought the kids one each many, many years ago). Just reluctant to bin it if all it needs is a fuse replacing. The speakers will be useful anyway as the other stereo can drive four. Probably not worth testing the CD deck and tuner or keeping them as backup. It is an Akai pseudo-component system. Really an all-in-one but connected by ribbbon cables so can be broken down into three seperate parts for transport.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

In message , David WE Roberts writes

Sounds more than just old age. (the fuse, not you :-) ) Almost certain that it will go again, if you do replace it and it doesn't blow and the unit works treat it with caution for a while.

Could be simple, but if you don't feel confident then either find some one who does, or consign it to the bin. Good luck which ever route you follow. Take care.........

Reply to
Bill

Just short the fuse out and plug in. You'll soon find out if the unit is worth repairing.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Fuses which are run close to their maximum do tend to blow for no reason when old. 'Speaker' fuses are particularly susceptible.

Ebay is probably your best bet. You know exactly what you're paying. No petrol or bus fares trawling around looking for a place that sells them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can someone explain what the 'L' is for in the "T1,25AL250V"?

I can find T1.25A quite easily, but the addition of the 'L' cuts down on the hits a lot.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Found using "fuse rating fast slow delay". i.e. If ye know some of the terms that are likely to come up on a page describing a topic, entering them in will most likely bring a descriptive page to the top of the list, rather than a shop window.

L = 'low breaking capacity or glass'

will blow when there is an live-earth short. Bridging out something for a test should be done with great care, one hand behind your back, signed will witnessed and placed somewhere safe, lottery tickets checked etc.... yada yada...

Best use a meter on it, and find the service sheet.

Reply to
Adrian C

Blowing of the mains input fuse is most likely caused by some part of the power supply shorting, such as part of the rectifier or a smoothing capacitor (are there any large capacitors with bulging tops?). It could also be an output driver which has shorted, but that's less common IME than a PSU failure.

If the mains transformer is a torriodal one, then it could simply have blown due to the switch-on current surge that these cause weakening the fuse over many switch-on cycles.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Replacement fuses ordered from Amazon. If it blows all 10 that's £2.75 I'll never see again.

Reply to
David WE Roberts